-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
Sinner beats Alcaraz to win Monte Carlo Masters, returns to No.1
Jannik Sinner beat Carlos Alcaraz in straight sets to win the Monte Carlo Masters for the first time on Sunday and reclaim the world number one ranking from his Spanish rival.
Sinner downed Alcaraz 7-6 (7/5), 6-3 to capture his third ATP 1000 title of the year after completing the "Sunshine Double" last month with victories in Indian Wells and Miami.
The 24-year-old Sinner joins Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal as only the third player to win four successive ATP 1000 titles. He also triumphed in Paris at the end of last season.
"We came here trying to get as many matches as possible, getting good feedback before other big tournaments coming up. Today was a high level from both of us," Sinner said.
"It was a bit windy, a bit breezy. Different conditions from what the tournament has brought. The result is amazing. Getting back to No.1 means a lot for me... I am very happy to win a big title on this surface, I haven't done it before and it means a lot to me."
It was the first meeting between Sinner and Alcaraz since the Italian prevailed at the ATP Finals in November.
Sinner, who is now 7-10 in his career against Alcaraz, will return to the top of the rankings Monday for the first time this year.
He has won his last 17 matches and becomes the first man since Djokovic in 2015 to win the first three ATP 1000 titles of the season.
"It is impressive what you are achieving right now," Alcaraz said to Sinner during the trophy ceremony. "Just one man had won the 'Sunshine Double' and Monte Carlo and you are the second."
Alcaraz had won his past 17 matches on clay, dating back to last season when he lifted titles in Rome and at Roland Garros.
He jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Sinner pushed a forehand long in blustery conditions, but the Italian broke back in the following game as he gradually found his rhythm.
The Spaniard fought off a break point in the fifth game and three more at 4-4, but Sinner's greater consistency paid off in the tie-break, which he secured when Alcaraz hit a double fault down set point.
Alcaraz won a sensational rally to break Sinner's serve early in the second set, but the second seed continued to put pressure on his opponent and rallied from 3-1 down, taking the last five games to clinch the biggest clay-court title of his career.
W.Nelson--AT