-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Morocco made to wait for Cup of Nations knockout place after Egypt advance
Hosts Morocco missed the chance to secure qualification for the knockout phase of the Africa Cup of Nations after drawing 1-1 with Mali on Friday, but Mohamed Salah's penalty gave Egypt a 1-0 win over South Africa which took them through to the last 16.
The Group A clash between Morocco and Mali at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat was a tale of two spot-kicks, with Brahim Diaz giving the tournament hosts the lead from a penalty deep in first-half injury time and Lassine Sinayoko equalising on 64 minutes.
The stalemate, watched by a crowd of almost 64,000 which included France captain Kylian Mbappe, ended Morocco's world record winning run after 19 matches.
It also means Morocco have not yet confirmed their last-16 place, although they are first in their section with four points from two games.
Mali come next on two points alongside Zambia, who drew 0-0 with Comoros earlier in Casablanca.
Morocco face Zambia on Monday and a victory in that match will ensure that the hosts go through as group winners.
"The first half we were very good. We had chances to score. The second half we didn't get into the game. We stopped playing and we suffered a bit. It's a game that will help us going forward," Morocco's Azzedine Ounahi told broadcaster beIN Sports.
"We've got to get the three points in the third match and finish first in the group."
Achraf Hakimi, the Morocco captain and African player of the year, was again an unused substitute as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury.
Morocco's penalty came when Mali defender Nathan Gassama brushed the ball with his hand as he tried to stop Diaz dribbling past him inside the box, and the referee eventually awarded a spot-kick following a lengthy look at the pitchside VAR monitor.
Diaz sent the goalkeeper the wrong way for his second goal of the tournament but Morocco could not build on that as Mali won a penalty of their own just after the hour mark.
Sinayoko was challenged by Jawad El Yamiq and another penalty was eventually given after a VAR intervention.
Auxerre striker Sinayoko stroked in the reward, and the Eagles held on for a draw through 10 minutes of stoppage time as the final whistle was greeted with jeers by home fans.
- Salah sinks South Africa -
In Agadir, Liverpool superstar Salah converted a penalty on the stroke of half-time as Egypt became the first team through to the knockout rounds.
But South Africa were aggrieved not to be awarded a spot-kick near the end when Yasser Ibrahim appeared to handle the ball inside the box.
Egypt's penalty was given after a VAR check when South African right-back Khuliso Mudau raised his left arm and struck Salah in the eye.
The Pharaohs skipper converted the penalty as goalkeeper Ronwen Williams dived the wrong way.
More drama erupted in added time when right-back Mohamed Hany stamped on Teboho Mokoena, leading to a second yellow card for the defender.
South Africa could not find a leveller despite the extra man, and then came the late decision not to give Bafana Bafana a spot-kick of their own as Egypt held on.
After two rounds in Group B, record seven-time champions Egypt have six points and are guaranteed a top-two finish.
South Africa have three points, and Angola and Zimbabwe one each after they drew 1-1 in Marrakesh earlier with veteran Knowledge Musona scoring for the Warriors to cancel out Gelson Dala's opener.
"I'm very happy for the result, for sure. It was a tough game, they dominated most of the time. It's a team that can keep the ball for a long time so I think we had a good gameplan, it worked," said Salah.
"We walked away with the three points, it's the most important thing. The atmosphere is incredible. Hopefully we can carry on like this."
South Africa coach Hugo Broos said: "The penalty awarded to Egypt was ridiculous, really ridiculous.
"Regarding us not being awarded a penalty near the end, the arm of the Egyptian was extended and the ball touched it. It was a penalty."
M.O.Allen--AT