-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
President Volodymyr Zelensky said in remarks made public Sunday that it would be too dangerous for Ukraine to hold an election while it fights Russia, after a call by his former defence minister to organise a vote.
Ukraine has suspended elections under martial law, a measure still widely supported by the population as the country focuses on fighting off the Russian invasion launched in 2022.
The Ukrainian leader -- a former TV comedian elected in 2019 -- has previously faced calls both from Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump to stage a vote, even as Moscow rains down missiles and drones across the country on a daily basis.
"I believe that in a war like this, elections as such are a huge risk. Elections right now are a tsunami for the country that will split Ukraine," Zelensky said.
"If we want to destroy the country, then we can move in the direction of elections during these times of war," added the 48-year-old.
He made the comments Saturday in a briefing with journalists including AFP.
Kyiv has been engulfed in a political crisis over the summer, triggered when Zelensky fired popular defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov.
Thousands took to the streets to demand his reinstatement, while Fedorov issued blistering attacks against the army's top brass.
The row forced Zelensky to sack his commander-in-chief.
Then days ago, the ousted Fedorov made a surprise call to find a way to organise elections.
He did not state explicitly that he wanted to challenge Zelensky, but the shock move made even some of his supporters distance themselves.
Experts have cited a flurry of obstacles to staging elections.
They include how soldiers, millions of Ukrainian refugees and people from occupied territories would cast their ballots, as well as the threat of both interference and physical attacks from Russia.
- Missile deficit -
Only 15 percent of Ukrainians believe elections should be held before the end of hostilities, according to an opinion poll.
Zelensky, while having faced increasing pockets of criticism domestically as the war drags on, is still largely popular.
Zelensky hit out at his potential rival with numerous jabs during the briefing.
"I believe he is going himself -- or is being pushed -- toward wrong things," Zelensky said of Fedorov.
The former minister was a prominent backer of the drone warfare strategy that has come to dominate Ukraine's war with Russia, and had pushed for army reforms -- winning support among the public.
But openly calling for an election is a risky bet and could have knocked his standing.
Fedorov's team confirmed to AFP on Sunday he plans to visit the United States soon -- a trip likely to revive speculation about whether he is positioning himself as a rival to Zelensky.
The domestic row comes amid an escalation in the war.
Moscow has intensified its strikes, using hard-to-intercept ballistic missiles that expose Ukraine's air defence shortfall.
Ukraine, meanwhile, has accelerated its own campaign of long-range strikes on Russian energy and logistics sites -- including oil refineries and retail warehouses.
Zelensky said deliveries of crucial interceptor missiles for US Patriot air defence systems -- which can shoot down Russia's ballistic missiles -- had halved since 2023.
"Over the entire of 2023, Ukraine received 675 missiles, and over all of 2025 -- 364, even though Russian missile strikes have increased," Zelensky said.
"For 2026, as currently projected, it is 264," he added, saying Ukraine was seeking a package of 300 for the upcoming winter.
The United States faces its own shortfall of the missiles amid its war on Iran and has been resistant to release large numbers to Ukraine.
Zelensky said Russia could produce around 100 ballistic missiles a month.
Civilian deaths in the four-and-a-half-year-long war have surged to their highest since the first months of the invasion amid the uptick in Russian strikes, according to verified statistics from the United Nations.
Ukraine will on Monday host a meeting of its European allies to discuss how to pressure Russia to end its invasion.
B.Torres--AT