-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
-
German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest
-
Asian allies stress 'critical' US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Pant fastest to 100 sixes as India set Sri Lanka 372 to win first Test
-
Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
Russia rebukes Japan ambassador over disputed islands row
-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
Middle East fighting overshadows world telecom show
Fighting over Iran impacted the start on Monday of the Mobile World Congress (MWC) telecoms trade fair thousands of miles away in Barcelona, with Israeli firms absent and activists demonstrating for a boycott of the country's pavilion.
Around 30 Israeli participants had been slated to take their place among the stands in the Catalan capital, where around 109,000 people from around the world were expected to view the latest gadgets and network innovations in the vast halls until Thursday.
But with airspace still closed over Israel two days into joint strikes on Iran with the United States, some such as AI security firm DeepKeep were unable to attend, AFP journalists saw on signs posted at the absent companies' stands.
Nine of the 25 businesses supposed to join the Israeli national pavilion were also kept away.
"Due to the current situation, our flights... were cancelled, and we were unable to reach Barcelona," Nofar Moradian-Shiber of the Israel Export Institute told AFP.
Spanish media reported that thousands of prospective MWC attendees had cancelled, as airports across the Middle East have shut down while fighting continues.
The GSMA telecoms association that organises the trade show played down the disruption.
"A small number of exhibitors, attendees and speakers... might have been affected by travel disruptions," a spokesman said.
"No Iranian companies were due to attend MWC this year," he added.
Catalonia's regional president Salvador Illa said there was "very limited disruption" to the trade show.
- 'Decolonise technology' -
GSMA chief Vivek Badrinath referred to the fighting directly in a Monday morning panel discussion, saying: "Our thoughts are with all those affected by the conflict."
Around 30 demonstrators had earlier gathered at the entrance to the vast congress centre, shouting: "Boycott Israel, boycott USA" and shadowed by several police officers.
"Let's decolonise technology," one demonstrator had written on a sign.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez had on Sunday condemned the US and Israeli strikes on Iran at a Barcelona dinner on the sidelines of MWC.
"You can be against a despicable regime... like the Iranian regime, and at the same time against an unjustified and dangerous military intervention," he said.
Beyond the day's dominant story, actors in the telecoms sector are looking ahead to a year with packed to-do lists, from network improvements to the growing capability of generative artificial intelligence.
- Robot phone head -
Operators and space firms are together racing to offer so-called "direct-to-device" satellite connectivity, in which phones or other connected gadgets communicate directly via satellites overhead without the need for towers on the ground.
Meanwhile governments -- especially in Europe -- are engaged in a push for technological sovereignty to insulate their tech infrastructure from geopolitical tensions.
And device makers are confronted with a surge in the price of working memory (RAM), pumped by massive demand from tech giants building up AI computing capacity.
That could put the brakes on growth in global smartphone sales, which added 1.9 percent to reach 1.26 billion devices last year.
Manufacturers are still betting on the innovations crammed into their latest models.
Chinese producer Honor is displaying what it calls a "robot phone" designed to function as a portable AI companion.
The device has a camera on a small robot arm that acts as its head, which Honor said in a Sunday demonstration would be able to nod along with a conversation or look around in response to the user's questions.
The phone is set for launch in the second half of this year.
Chinese competitors Xiaomi and Huawei, sales champions in the connected devices sector, this weekend announced new ranges of watches, headphones and tablets.
E.Flores--AT