-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
'No indication' Iran nuclear installations hit: IAEA
The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog said on Monday his agency has "no indication" that any nuclear installations have been damaged or hit in Iran following US and Israeli strikes on the country.
Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Reza Najafi said however that the key nuclear site Natanz had been attacked.
Opening an extraordinary session of the agency's board of governors on Iran, IAEA head Rafael Grossi urged "all parties to exercise maximum restraint to avoid further escalation".
"Regarding the status of the nuclear installations in Iran, up to now, we have no indication that any of the nuclear installations, including the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant, the Tehran Research Reactor or other nuclear fuel cycle facilities have been damaged or hit," he said.
The agency was trying to contact the Iranian nuclear regulatory authorities "with no response so far", Grossi said in his statement, released by the IAEA, as he opened the session.
"We hope this indispensable channel of communication can be reestablished as soon as possible," he added.
Najafi said the Natanz nuclear site had been attacked, saying the United States accusing Iran of trying to have a nuclear bomb was "just the pretext to attack and invade".
"The head of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran yesterday sent a letter to the Director General and informed him that the Natanz nuclear facilities, which is a safeguarded facility, have been attacked during this aggression," he told AFP.
- 'Very concerning' -
Grossi in his opening statement said that the situation in the Middle East was "very concerning" after the Israeli-US strikes on Iran and its retaliatory missile attacks.
"Iran and many other countries in the region that have been subjected to military attacks have operational nuclear power plants and nuclear research reactors, as well as associated fuel storage sites, increasing the threat to nuclear safety," he added.
Grossi called for diplomatic negotiations to resume "as quickly as possible".
Grossi attended two Oman-mediated rounds of talks between Iran and the United States last month in Geneva on Iran's nuclear programme.
"An understanding eluded the parties this time. I am sure we are, quite understandably, feeling a strong sense of frustration," he said.
The extraordinary meeting preceded an already scheduled regular session of the IAEA's board of governors, which represents 35 countries.
The extraordinary session of the Vienna-based body was called at the request of Russia, a key ally of Tehran, following the same request by Iran over the weekend.
Western countries led by the United States and Israel, Iran's arch-enemy, accuse the Islamic republic of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.
Tehran denies having such military ambitions but insists on its right to this technology for civilian purposes.
R.Lee--AT