-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Argentine police recover Nazi-looted painting spotted in property ad
Argentine authorities recovered an 18th century painting stolen by Nazis from a Dutch Jewish art collector over a week after it appeared in a property ad only to suddenly vanish.
The "Portrait of a Lady" by Italian baroque painter Giuseppe Ghislandi was missing for eight decades before being photographed hanging in the home of the daughter of a senior SS officer, who fled to Argentina after World War II.
Prosecutors said Wednesday that the woman's lawyer returned the work after a major hunt for it that made headlines worldwide.
Showing off the piece, art expert Ariel Bassano told reporters it was "in good condition for its age, as it dates from 1710."
He was quoted by the local La Capital Mar del Plata newspaper as valuing it at "around $50,000."
The painting was recognized last week by the Dutch newspaper AD in photographs of a house for sale in the seaside resort of Mar del Plata.
It was hanging above a green sofa in the living room of Patricia Kadgien, daughter of SS financial guru Friedrich Kadgien, one of several high-ranking Nazis to escape to Argentina after the war.
The painting was among over 1,000 artworks stolen from Amsterdam art dealer Jacques Goudstikker's collection after the Nazi invasion of the Netherlands in 1940.
Its discovery generated a flurry of excitement on both sides of the Atlantic.
But no sooner had it been identified than it disappeared again.
When Argentine police went to raid the premises after being tipped off about the property ad they found no trace of the artwork.
Kadgien and her husband were placed under house arrest on Tuesday after several failed police searches for the portrait.
According to Argentine daily La Nacion, the couple admitted in a court filing that they owned the artwork and said they believed any lawsuit over its ownership would fall under the statute of limitations.
Their lawyer, Carlos Murias, said that prosecutors were seeking to charge his clients with "concealing smuggling."
If framed within the context of the genocide of Jews during World War II, the crime would not be bound by the statute of limitations.
- A knock on the door -
The investigation arose from a visit to Kadgien's home by Dutch journalist Peter Schouten, who was investigating her father's past.
"We wanted to talk about her father because there were a lot of news stories about him in the Netherlands about ten years ago," Schouten told Argentina's Radio Rivadavia.
Schouten said he knocked on the door of the house and got no response but noticed a for-sale sign.
After searching online property ads, he spotted the painting in a photo of the house's interior.
"I freaked out, of course," Shouten recalled. "I sent all the information to Holland, where they worked with the official institutions and confirmed that yes, it was that painting, that there was no chance it was a replica," he added.
He said he immediately contacted Kadgien to get her version of events but received no response and that shortly afterwards, the for-sale listing was removed from the property site.
Goudstikker, a leading dealer of Italian and Dutch 16th- and 17th-century masters during the wars, fled the Netherlands days after the Nazi invasion.
He left behind an extensive art collection, which was divvied up by top German officials, led by Gestapo founder Hermann Goering.
After the war the Dutch state retrieved some 300 works from the collection, most of which it later returned to Goudstikker's heirs.
But many others remain scattered around the globe.
W.Nelson--AT