-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
Zverev admits 'a lot of catching up' to reel in Alcaraz, Sinner
World number three Alexander Zverev admitted on Saturday that he has "a lot of catching up to do" to challenge Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner.
The 28-year-old German finished the 2025 season with only one title, in Munich, having been beset by injuries.
He still did enough to bag the number three ranking behind Spain's Alcaraz and Italian Sinner, although he trails the dominant pair by more than 6,000 ranking points.
"Of course, number one and two are quite far ahead, which was not the case at the end of 2024, when I finished number two in the world (behind Sinner)," Zverev said in Sydney, where he is playing the United Cup.
"I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do, but so does the rest of the tour."
While Zverev made the final of the season-opening Australian Open last year, losing to Sinner, he disappointed at the other three Grand Slams and also at the year-end ATP Finals.
Despite this he considers 2025 as a step forward, all things considering.
"I had issues with my body, I had injuries throughout the entire season. So for me, finishing three in the world, I feel like looking back at it, it's still something to be proud of," he said.
"Of course it wasn't the season that I wanted to have," he added. "There weren't the titles that I wanted to have, the big titles especially."
Along with his physical problems, Zverev also struggled with his mental health, taking a one-month break after losing in the first round at Wimbledon.
"I took some vacation, spent time with my friends, then went back to training. Changed the scenario a little bit," he said.
"In a way, losing first round Wimbledon -- of course I don't want to lose first round Wimbledon -- but in a way it was helpful for me because I could just restart.
"That was a bit of a turning point."
Zverev is spearheading Germany at the mixed-teams United Cup to open his 2026 campaign before heading to Melbourne Park and another crack at an elusive Grand Slam title.
In contrast, Sinner and Alcaraz play only an exhibition against each other in South Korea before the Australian Open, a scenario that would not suit the German.
"Some guys, like Jannik and Carlos, they're just capable of showing up to the Australian Open, playing great tennis straightaway," he said.
"I feel like I'm more of a diesel engine sometimes where I need to get going first, then at some point I'll start playing good tennis. I have to play a preparation tournament."
T.Perez--AT