-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
McCullum admits England have been 'nowhere near' their best
Defiant England coach Brendon McCullum brushed off concerns Sunday that his job was on the line heading into the third Test against Australia, while admitting the team have been "nowhere near" their best.
The tourists were crushed in the first two Ashes Tests in Perth and Brisbane by eight wickets and only a win at Adelaide Oval this week will be enough to keep the five-match series alive.
McCullum confirmed they would stick with the same top seven, keeping under-fire Ollie Pope at number three rather than bring in Jacob Bethell.
"Knee-jerk reactions and chopping and changing settled batting line-ups is not really our way," he said.
"We know we haven't got enough runs so far in the series. But for us to go on and win the series it's not about throwing out what's been successful for us over the past few years."
England's lack of fight and questionable preparations have drawn scrutiny, while McCullum's claim that they "trained too much" prior to Brisbane was met with disbelief by former greats.
A decision for the team to lounge on the beach in tourist playground Noosa this week before heading to Adelaide was also panned.
But McCullum was unfazed, dismissing talk that his job could be threatened by another defeat.
"I don't know, but it doesn't really bother me, to be honest," he said.
"I mean professional sport, it's not easy, right? You do the job to the best of your ability. You have conviction in what you're doing, and whatever happens, happens."
McCullum admitted England must improve to keep the series alive, but suggested they would not change their gung-ho approach.
"We knew when we came here that we had to win three Tests to win the series, and the fact we're 2-0 down has made it harder on ourselves, but it doesn't stop the belief that you have within the dressing room," he said.
"I don't think we've been anywhere near our best so far in these last two Tests ... but what's been has been. Now, it's focusing on the one that's coming.
"I firmly believe that if we play our best cricket, we're a massive chance in this Test match. We do that, and the narrative changes in the series," he added.
McCullum defended the decision to take a beach break rather than train after two heavy defeats.
"Noosa for us was excellent. It was planned, obviously a year ago," he said, adding that it was about spending "time away from the heat of the battle".
"And I think now the freshness which we come into this Test match with will hopefully pay off.
"There's no guarantees, but that's the plan, and I think the boys are excited to get back to training and look forward to the next few days."
D.Lopez--AT