-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
S.Africa expels Kenyans working on US Afrikaner 'refugee' applications
South Africa arrested and expelled seven Kenyans who had been working illegally on a US government programme to accept white Afrikaners as "refugees", the government said Wednesday.
President Donald Trump's administration in May offered refugee status to the minority white Afrikaner community, claiming they were victims of discrimination and even "genocide", which the Pretoria government strongly denies.
The United States engaged Kenyans from a Christian NGO based in Kenya to come to South Africa to fast-track the processing of applications for resettlement under the programme.
South African authorities raided an application centre on Tuesday after intelligence that "a number of Kenyan nationals had recently entered South Africa on tourist visas and had illegally taken up work processing the applications of so-called 'refugees' to the United States," the home affairs ministry said.
"During the operation, seven Kenyan nationals were discovered engaging in work despite only being in possession of tourist visas, in clear violation of their conditions of entry into the country," it said in a statement.
They were arrested and issued with deportation orders, it said.
Home Affairs Minister Leon Schreiber said later Wednesday all seven had "self-deported" after signing an acknowledgement of the deportation orders, his office said.
"They have thus now all left the country and are prohibited from re-entering South Africa for a period of five years, after violating the terms of their tourist visas by performing work," he said.
-- US decries 'interference' -
In the United States, Trump has seized on technical violations of visa conditions as a way to carry out mass deportations of foreigners, mostly from developing countries.
US State Department lawyers had believed that the Kenyans had the right to work temporarily, according to a person familiar with the episode.
"We have worked to operate the refugee program within the confines of the law, and South Africa has pledged on multiple occasions not to interfere in our operations -- unfortunately, we have now seen interference," a Trump administration official said.
The Trump administration in October announced plans to take in 7,500 refugees in fiscal 2026, with most places going to white Afrikaners, a community largely descended from Dutch settlers who arrived in South Africa more than 350 years ago.
It has repeatedly claimed that Afrikaners are being persecuted since the end of white minority rule in 1994, citing attacks on their farms and requirements for black representation in business.
Pretoria firmly rejects the allegations, pointing out that black South Africans are the main victims of the country's high crime rate and that economic empowerment laws are intended to redress stark inequalities inherited from apartheid.
A first group of around 50 Afrikaners was flown to the United States for resettlement in May. Others have reportedly followed in smaller numbers.
The South African home affairs department said no US officials were arrested in Tuesday's raid, which was not conducted at a diplomatic site.
No prospective "refugees" were harassed, it said, adding that the government had contacted US and Kenyan officials over the issue.
US resettlement processing in South Africa is carried out by the Resettlement Support Center (RSC) Africa operated by the US-based Church World Service.
The South African home affairs department said "foreign officials" were apparently coordinating with the undocumented workers which "raises serious questions about intent and diplomatic protocol".
Ties between the two countries have plummeted since Trump took office, with his administration lashing out at South Africa over a range of policies, expelling its ambassador in March and imposing 30-percent trade tariffs.
The fallout led Washington to boycott South Africa's summit of the G20 group of leading economies in November.
The United States took over the rotating year-long G20 presidency this month and has said South Africa would not be invited to events that it hosts.
P.Smith--AT