-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
Australian PM says 'Islamic State ideology' drove Bondi Beach gunmen
A father and son were driven by "Islamic State ideology" when they fired on Bondi Beach in one of Australia's deadliest mass shootings, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Tuesday.
Sajid Akram and his son Naveed opened fire on Jewish crowds thronging the famous beach for Hanukkah on Sunday evening, killing 15 people and wounding dozens more.
Authorities said the attack was designed to sow panic among the nation's Jews, but have so far given little detail about the gunmen's deeper motivations.
Albanese gave one of the first hints that the pair had been radicalised by an "ideology of hate".
"It would appear that this was motivated by Islamic State ideology," Albanese told national broadcaster ABC.
"With the rise of ISIS more than a decade ago now, the world has been grappling with extremism and this hateful ideology," he said in a separate interview.
Police found a car registered to Naveed Akram parked near the beach in the aftermath of the shooting.
They found improvised bombs and "two homemade ISIS flags", New South Wales Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said on Tuesday, using another name for the Islamic State group.
Authorities are facing mounting questions over whether they could have acted earlier to foil the attack.
Albanese said Naveed Akram, reportedly an unemployed bricklayer, had come to the attention of Australia's intelligence agency in 2019 but was not considered an imminent threat at the time.
"They interviewed him, they interviewed his family members, they interviewed people around him," Albanese said.
"He was not seen at that time to be a person of interest."
Police are still piecing together the duo's movements before the shooting.
A key question is whether they met with Islamist extremists on a trip to the Philippines last month, Australian media reported.
"The reasons why they went to the Philippines, and the purpose of that, and where they went, is under investigation at the moment," Lanyon told reporters on Tuesday.
Naveed reportedly told his mother on the day of the attack that he was heading out of the city on a fishing trip.
Instead, authorities believe that he was holed up in a rental apartment with his father plotting the assault.
Carrying long-barrelled guns, they peppered the beach and a nearby park with bullets for 10 minutes before police shot and killed 50-year-old Sajid.
Naveed, 24, remains in a coma in hospital under police guard.
- Stricter gun control? -
A 10-year-old girl, a Holocaust survivor and a local rabbi were among those killed, while 42 others were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds and other injuries.
Australia's leaders agreed on Monday to toughen laws that allowed father Sajid to own six guns.
Mass shootings have been rare in Australia since a lone gunman killed 35 people in the tourist town of Port Arthur in 1996.
The Port Arthur Massacre sparked a world-leading crackdown that included a gun buyback scheme and limits on semi-automatic weapons.
But many Australians are now questioning whether those laws are equipped to deal with online sales and a steady rise in privately owned guns.
"This horrific situation now, it does make me personally feel that they need to be stricter," David Sovyer, 43, told AFP.
Retiree Allan McRae, 75, said "not a lot of people need a gun".
"It would've reduced the possibility of it happening if more people had reduced access to a gun," he told AFP.
- Failed to act -
The attack has also revived allegations that Australia is dragging its feet in the fight against antisemitism.
"The last four years, I was very clear. And I was very clear about the dangers of the rise in antisemitism," Israel's ambassador to Australia, Amir Maimon, said while visiting a memorial to the victims on Tuesday.
Australian Jewish Association head Robert Gregory told AFP the government had "failed to take adequate actions to protect the Jewish community".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Australia's decision to recognise Palestinian statehood this year had poured "oil on the fire of antisemitism".
Desperate to help, Australians have lined up in their thousands to donate blood to the wounded.
Red Cross Australia said more than 7,000 people had given blood on Monday, smashing the previous national record.
A makeshift flower memorial next to Bondi Beach swelled in size on Monday evening as mourners gathered to pay tribute to the victims and mark the second day of Hanukkah.
Hundreds of mourners, including members of the Jewish community, sang songs, clapped and held each other.
Leading a ceremony to light a menorah, a rabbi told the crowd: "The only strength we have is if we bring light into the world."
W.Morales--AT