-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
ECOWAS threatens 'targeted sanctions' over Guinea Bissau coup
West African regional bloc ECOWAS on Sunday threatened "targeted sanctions" on anyone obstructing Guinea-Bissau's return to civilian rule following last month's coup.
The announcement came as presidents from across the region met Sunday in Nigeria for a bi-annual meeting whose agenda was dominated by two recent coup attempts: a successful military takeover in Guinea-Bissau and a failed putsch in Benin.
"The authorities shall impose targeted sanctions on individuals or groups of persons that obstruct the transition process," ECOWAS commission president Omar Alieu Touray told reporters at the end of summit, held in the Nigerian capital Abuja.
The twin disruptions of civilian rule -- last month in Guinea-Bissau and a week ago in Benin -- have rattled ECOWAS.
The bloc was previously hit with a string of coups between 2020 and 2023 in Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali and Niger -- all of which are still under junta control.
"The events of the last few weeks have shown in concrete terms what regional solidarity means," Touray said earlier in the day, at the opening ceremony of the heads of state summit.
The summit, held in a conference hall on the bucolic and highly secured campus surrounding the presidential villa at Aso Rock, was organised prior to the two recent coup attempts, but they are high on the agenda.
- Sahel security on agenda -
Presidents gathered for the meeting were set to discuss a recent ECOWAS mission to Guinea-Bissau and "the situation in the Republic of Benin", according to the programme.
Trade liberalisation measures and "update on the transition process" in Guinea were also on the agenda.
Also on the priority list is security in the Sahel region, where jihadist groups are waging insurgencies in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger.
Under junta rule the three countries left ECOWAS and formed their own group, the Alliance of Sahel States (AES).
Last week, Touray called for negotiations with the AES over shared security concerns as the conflict continues to spread south.
"No border can insulate us from violence," Sierra Leone President Julius Bio, who currently holds ECOWAS's rotating chairmanship, said Sunday.
Heads of state from Guinea and Guinea-Bissau, suspended after their military takeovers, were not present at the summit.
Nigerian president Bola Tinubu was not in attendance, and was instead represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima.
In addition to military takeovers, democratic backsliding has also dogged civilian governments in west Africa.
In October, Ivory Coast elected President Alassane Ouattara to a fourth term in an election that saw his rivals barred.
Both Bio and Tinubu's 2023 elections sparked complaints of irregularities.
D.Johnson--AT