-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
Steam - and uncertainty - rise from Serbia's shuttered refinery
Steam still rises from the chimneys of Serbia's only oil refinery as it slowly grinds to a halt under US sanctions, fuelling fears of job losses and uncertainty.
Though workers in high-visibility orange jumpsuits can be seen moving around the Pancevo refinery, and large tanker trucks drive in and out, no crude oil has entered the facility in two months.
The Petroleum Industry of Serbia (NIS), which runs the plant, is majority-owned by Russians -- and so was hit by US sanctions targeting Moscow's energy sector after it invaded Ukraine in 2022.
The sanctions took effect on October 9, and the refinery finally shut down last week after burning through its crude reserves, leaving Belgrade scrambling to avert an energy crisis. It was once responsible for about 80 percent of Serbia's fuel.
Nearly 1,700 employees continue to enter the complex each day, though many were unwilling to speak with AFP and union leaders have also declined interviews.
But NIS management told AFP that employees "are engaged in tasks carried out during planned shutdowns of production units", stressing that the company is meeting all its obligations to the more than 13,500 people it employs nationwide.
"This is a major issue not only for this town, but for the whole country," Tomislav, a former employee who asked to go only by his first name, told AFP.
- Affecting life 'in every sense' -
Tomislav, who spent most of his working life at Pancevo, lives in the nearby town of the same name -- as do many other employees.
The town is watching the fate of the refinery nervously.
The environment used to top their list of concerns, recalls municipal worker Biljana Dejanovic.
Now the fear is closure.
"Everyone is waiting for a solution. Someone will have to sort this out," she said, adding that the situation has come as a shock to the workers.
"And it won't just be the refinery. This will also affect 'Petrohemija', which relies on the refinery's processed oil to produce plastics," she added, referring to a factory located right next to the refinery.
Vladimir Mutavdzic, 33, from Pancevo, also feared job loss -- and the impact not just locally, but across Serbia.
"It affects transport, heating — life in every sense," he added.
NIS and its affiliates contributed over two billion euros ($2.3 billion) to state coffers last year, which is nearly 12 percent of Serbia's national budget.
Tomislav said he was hopeful the situation would be resolved.
"The refinery has been modernised, both technologically and environmentally. It's an excellent plant," the former worker said.
- 'Real problems' -
Under the sanctions, NIS also risks being cut off from Serbia's payment system -- a move that would halt operations entirely.
Such a cutoff would close its nearly 330 petrol stations -- about one in five nationwide. More than 50 towns and villages rely solely on NIS stations, with no nearby alternative.
Serbia is therefore allowing payments to continue on a day-to-day basis, weighing the risk that its central bank could face so-called secondary sanctions from the United States.
"The only question is when the warning about secondary sanctions will arrive," President Aleksandar Vucic said late Wednesday from Brussels.
"That's when the real problems begin," he added.
Belgrade sold a controlling stake in NIS to Russia's Gazprom in 2008 for 400 million euros ($467 million).
Russian owners now hold 56 percent of the company, the Serbian state nearly 30 percent, and the rest is owned by smaller shareholders.
Washington is demanding a full exit of Russian ownership as a condition for lifting the sanctions.
NIS has asked for a temporary licence to continue operating during the talks, but the request remains unapproved.
Vucic has set mid-January as the deadline for a sale, with bidders from Hungary and the United Arab Emirates in the running.
If talks fail, he said Serbia would buy the company itself, setting aside 1.4 billion euros ($1.6 billion) in the state budget.
F.Ramirez--AT