-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
Thai, Cambodian border evacuees split over Trump mediation
Stranded Thai and Cambodian evacuees were split Thursday over the expected intervention of US President Donald Trump to end a decades-long border dispute that has turned their lives upside down.
Trump said he expects to speak with the leaders of Thailand and Cambodia to demand a halt to military border clashes that this week displaced around 600,000 people and killed at least 20.
A bout of fighting earlier this year paused after Trump made similar calls, which he proudly touted as proof of his peacemaking credentials -- though the truce didn't last.
But staying under a tent in Oddar Meanchey province, Cambodian evacuee Het Soeung was optimistic about Trump's new play for peace.
"I have a huge hope that he can help ending the clashes," the 73-year-old told AFP, calling him "the power, the lord of the world".
"But if he cannot achieve it, we also can't blame him," she added.
The United States, China and Malaysia -- as chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) regional bloc -- brokered the cessation of fighting in July that killed dozens.
In October, Trump backed a follow-on joint declaration, touting new trade deals with Thailand and Cambodia after they agreed to prolong their ceasefire.
But Thailand suspended the agreement the following month after it said soldiers were wounded by freshly laid landmines at the border. Cambodia has denied laying new mines.
AFP spoke to several Cambodians who had fled their homes near the border to makeshift shelters housing thousands, and who appealed to Trump to help.
"Donald Trump is a number one person," said 64-year-old former soldier Bay Mao, adding he was "95 percent" sure the president could seal a deal.
Others doubted Trump could actually end the longstanding conflict, which stems from a disputed colonial-era demarcation of the two nations' 800-kilometre (500-mile) frontier.
- 'No more talks' -
On the other side of the border from Oddar Meanchey, Thai evacuees who spoke to AFP saw negotiations differently.
In the Thai province of Surin, farmer Mala Klumya said she had heard enough promises of peace and no longer trusted foreign powers or diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict.
"Trump or (Malaysian Prime Minister) Anwar (Ibrahim) don't need to come and help. They don't know how much Thailand has suffered," she said.
"I want to tell third countries: don't try to negotiate anymore. The time for that is over," the 51-year-old said.
She said Thailand and Cambodia should talk directly and "end it once and for all".
Farmer Eia Torkaew said he had to leave home with his wife for the second time in five months -- and the resurgence of violence was testing people's patience for diplomacy.
"I don't want any more talks or negotiations," said the 73-year-old. "I just want this to end."
Trump said on Wednesday that he believed a call with Thailand and Cambodia was scheduled for the following day.
But Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters on Thursday there had been "no coordination" with him so far.
"If there's a call from the US president, we definitely will answer the phone and we will explain to him," Anutin said. "He does not have more details of the situation than me."
Thai evacuee Mala praised what she called her prime minister's "hard line" against further negotiations.
"When he said there will be no talks, that gets my vote 1,000 percent," she said.
"But if he changes his mind and goes back to the table, he won't get my vote."
A.O.Scott--AT