-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
US, Japan hold joint air exercise after China-Russia patrols
Japan said Thursday it held a joint air exercise with the United States in a show of force, days after Chinese-Russian patrols in the region and following weeks of diplomatic feuding between Tokyo and Beijing.
The Japanese joint chiefs of staff said Wednesday's exercise with the US Air Force was conducted in "an increasingly severe security environment surrounding our country".
Tokyo said Wednesday that two Russian Tu-95 nuclear-capable bombers flew a day earlier from the Sea of Japan to rendezvous with two Chinese H-6 bombers in the East China Sea, then conducted a joint flight around the country.
Japan said that it scrambled fighter jets in response.
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi angered Beijing last month by suggesting that Japan would intervene with military force in any Chinese attack on Taiwan.
Thursday's announcement by Japan's chiefs of staff said: "We confirmed the strong resolve of Japan and the United States not to allow any unilateral change of the status quo by force, as well as the readiness of the Self-Defense Forces and the US military."
In a separate statement it said that the "tactical exercises" over the Japan Sea involved two US B52 bombers, three Japanese F-35 fighter jets and three Japanese F-15s.
The joint exercise came as the United States criticized Beijing for the first time on Wednesday after Chinese military aircraft locked radar onto Japanese jets on Saturday.
The J-15 jets from China's Liaoning aircraft carrier twice locked radar on Japanese aircraft in international waters near Okinawa, according to Japan, which scrambled jets in response.
"China's actions are not conducive to regional peace and stability," a US State Department spokesperson told AFP on Wednesday.
"The U.S.-Japan Alliance is stronger and more united than ever. Our commitment to our ally Japan is unwavering, and we are in close contact on this and other issues."
Fighter jets use their radar for fire control to identify targets as well as for search and rescue operations.
Tokyo also summoned Beijing's ambassador following the radar incident, over which the two countries offer differing accounts of events.
Japan said it scrambled its F-15 jets because it was worried about possible "airspace violations".
Guo Jiakun, spokesman for the ministry of foreign affairs, accused Japan Wednesday of sending the jets "to intrude into the Chinese training area without authorisation, conduct close-range reconnaissance and harassment, create tense situations, and continue to maliciously hype up the situation".
Takaichi's comments about intervening in any Taiwan emergency enraged Beijing as China claims the self-ruled island as its own and has not ruled out seizing it by force.
Tokyo was forced to deny a Wall Street Journal report that said US President Donald Trump had advised Takaichi not to provoke China over Taiwan's sovereignty.
But Tokyo is apparently frustrated at the lack of public support from top officials in Washington and has urged the US to be more vocal, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.
- 'Regrettable' -
NATO chief Mark Rutte said on Wednesday that the radar incident and the joint Chinese-Russian patrols were "regrettable", Japan's Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi said on X.
The statement followed a 15-minute video conference between Rutte and Koizumi, the defence ministry said in a statement.
Rutte "affirmed that security in the Indo-Pacific and Euro-Atlantic regions is completely inseparable", Koizumi said.
South Korea said Tuesday that Russian and Chinese warplanes also entered its air defence zone, with Seoul also deploying fighter jets that same day.
Beijing confirmed later on Tuesday that it had organised drills with Russia's military according to "annual cooperation plans".
Moscow also described it as a routine exercise, saying it lasted eight hours and that some foreign fighter jets followed the Russian and Chinese aircraft.
T.Perez--AT