-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
Fighting rages along Cambodia-Thailand border ahead of expected Trump call
Fighting raged Thursday along the border of Cambodia and Thailand, with explosions heard near centuries-old temples ahead of US President Donald Trump's planned phone call to the leaders of both nations.
At least 19 people have been killed in the latest round of border fighting that reignited last week, officials said.
More than half a million people, mostly in Thailand, have fled border areas near where jets, tanks and drones have waged battle.
The Southeast Asian nations dispute the colonial-era demarcation of their 800-kilometre (500-mile) frontier, where both sides claim a smattering of historic temples.
This week's clashes are the deadliest since five days of fighting in July that killed dozens before a shaky truce was agreed, following intervention by Trump.
The US president said he expected to speak Thursday with the leaders of Thailand and Cambodia to demand a halt to the clashes.
"I think I'm scheduled to speak to them tomorrow," Trump told reporters at the White House on Wednesday.
Speaking to journalists on Thursday, Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said there had been "no coordination" yet with Trump.
"But if there's a call from the US president, we definitely will answer the phone and we will explain to him... He does not have more details of the situation than me," Anutin said.
"This is an issue between two countries. He has good intentions to see peace but we have to explain what the problems are and why it turned out this way," the prime minister added.
Both sides blame the other for reigniting the conflict, which has expanded to five provinces of both Thailand and Cambodia, according to an AFP tally of official accounts.
In Thailand's northeast on Thursday morning, hundreds of evacuated families woke inside a university building in Surin city that has been transformed into a shelter.
A few older women pounded chilli paste while volunteers stirred big pots of food.
Nearby, 61-year-old farmer Rat, who declined to give her last name, said she had to leave her home before she could plant a cassava crop this season, fleeing with her family of eight.
"I just want to go home and farm again," she told AFP.
"Every time the fighting starts, it feels like life gets paused all over again."
- Cultural heritage -
Nine Thai soldiers have been killed this week and more than 120 wounded, Thai defence ministry spokesperson Surasant Kongsiri told reporters on Thursday.
"The operation is still ongoing across the border from Ubon Ratchathani down to Trat province," Surasant said
Cambodia's defence ministry has reported 10 civilian deaths and 60 wounded.
AFP journalists in Cambodia's northwestern Oddar Meanchey province heard blasts of incoming artillery from the direction of disputed temples from dawn on Wednesday.
Cambodia's defence ministry said in a statement that Thai forces initiated an attack early Thursday morning in the province, "shelling into Khnar Temple area".
On the other side of the border, the Thai military announced an overnight curfew from 7:00 pm to 5:00 am in parts of Sa Kaeo beginning Wednesday night.
The Thai army said Wednesday that Cambodian forces fired rockets earlier that day that landed in the vicinity of the Phanom Dong Rak Hospital in Surin province -- to the north of Sa Kaeo, and which was struck in the fighting in July.
Cambodia's defence ministry said more than 101,000 people have been evacuated, while in Thailand, authorities said more than 400,000 civilians have taken shelter elsewhere.
The United States, China and Malaysia, as chair of the regional bloc ASEAN, brokered a ceasefire back in July.
In October, Trump backed a follow-on joint declaration, touting new trade deals with Thailand and Cambodia after they agreed to prolong their truce.
But Thailand suspended the agreement the following month.
The United Nations cultural agency called Wednesday for "protection of the region's cultural heritage in all its forms".
In 2008, military clashes between Thailand and Cambodia erupted over a patch of land next to the 900-year-old temple, located on the border.
Sporadic violence from 2008 to 2011 led to the deaths of two dozen people and displacement of tens of thousands.
O.Ortiz--AT