-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
Brazil lawmakers approve bill to cut Bolsonaro sentence after ruckus
Brazil's lower house of Congress approved a bill early Wednesday that could slash former president Jair Bolsonaro's prison sentence for plotting a coup, after efforts by a lawmaker to disrupt the proceedings sparked chaos in parliament.
The far-right former leader has been serving a 27-year term since November after his conviction for a scheme to stop President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from taking office after the 2022 elections.
Lawmakers had been discussing a bill that would significantly reduce sentences for several crimes, including attempting a coup d'etat -- opening up the prospect that Bolsonaro, 70, could see his sentence cut to just over two years.
After a heated debate that saw one lawmaker forcibly removed by police, the lower house of Congress approved the bill Wednesday morning. It still awaits Senate ratification before becoming law.
Bolsonaro's supporters in the conservative-majority Congress have for months weighed different options to ease his punishment, including a possible amnesty that fizzled out after countrywide protests.
After that failed, congressman Sostenes Cavalcante said, "the first step to achieving our goal will be the reduction of sentences."
On Tuesday, efforts to vote on the bill led to turmoil in the Chamber of Deputies.
Police forcibly removed government-allied leftist deputy Glauber Braga after denouncing a "coup offensive" and occupying the Speaker's chair, according to footage broadcast on local television.
The broadcast was interrupted, journalists were removed from the plenary hall, and the debate was suspended. The session resumed after order was restored.
Braga said he was exercising his right "not to accept as a done deal an amnesty for a group of coup plotters."
If the bill passes into law, "Bolsonaro will see his sentence reduced... to something like two years and four months in prison," Paulinho da Forca, who is leading negotiations on the bill, said in a video sent to AFP.
It would also grant parole to about 100 Bolsonaro supporters imprisoned for the January 8, 2023 assault on government buildings in Brasilia, shortly after Lula took office.
However, it will be up to the judiciary to reformulate sentencing under the new conditions approved by Congress.
Bolsonaro's defense team has also asked the Supreme Court to authorize his release for a surgical procedure due to his deteriorating health, according to documents obtained by AFP.
As they requested weeks ago, his lawyers again sought for the court to allow the ex-president to serve his sentence at home for "humanitarian" reasons.
- 'Authoritarian measures' -
Lindbergh Farias, leader of the ruling Worker Party in Congress, said the initiative was "unacceptable" as it was clearly aimed at "creating a specific law to benefit Bolsonaro."
Conservative house president Hugo Motta meanwhile faced criticism for ordering journalists out.
In a statement, the FENAJ national press association and a journalist's union slammed the "episode of censorship and aggression against the press."
The bill had been stalled for several months but resurfaced a few days after Bolsonaro anointed his son, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, as his successor ahead of 2026 presidential elections.
Flavio said on Sunday he would be willing to withdraw his 2026 presidential candidacy in exchange for an amnesty for his father.
In late November, Jair Bolsonaro's lawyers said they would appeal his detention that "could put his life at risk" due to his frail health.
Bolsonaro has a history of abdominal issues after being stabbed during the 2018 campaign, and has required several follow-up surgeries.
The recently submitted medical documents obtained by AFP "reveal a significant worsening of Bolsonaro's health" that requires his "immediate hospitalization," his defense team said in the request to the Supreme Court.
D.Lopez--AT