-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
Cardinal tipped to be pope accused of molesting several women
A Catholic cardinal touted as one of the favourites to replace Pope Francis said he was "stepping back" from office Tuesday after an AFP investigation revealed at least five women had accused him of sexual assault.
Spanish-born Cristobal Lopez Romero, 74, the Archbishop of Rabat in Morocco, denies wrongdoing.
One woman who said he molested her made a written complaint about the cardinal in May to the Vatican embassy in Morocco, which AFP has seen.
She accused him of "particularly insistent and prolonged hugs" and "an attempt at physical intimacy that could be likened to an attempt" to kiss her, which she said she "barely managed" to avoid.
A church source in the archdiocese said at least five accounts describing similar incidents have been brought to its attention.
Lopez admitted he had been "accused of inappropriate behaviour towards adult women. This situation has led the Church to open a preliminary investigation," he added in a written reply to AFP.
"I have committed neither assault nor violence nor sexual harassment," he insisted.
- Jovial 'street priest' -
But the archdiocese source condemned "a culture of complicity and silence" among those around the cardinal, accusing them of helping to protect him.
The source told AFP that "close associates" who have known the cardinal for years reported similar behaviour when he was a missionary in South America.
Lopez was known as a jovial "street priest" working with the poor and later became a leader of his missionary Salesian order in Paraguay, Bolivia and in Spain.
After the death of Pope Francis in April last year, Lopez had been hailed by some Vatican watchers and "not a few of his fellow cardinals", according to the influential Catholic website Crux, as "a potential Successor of Peter".
The National Catholic Review said his "personal biography of bridge-building cultures and continents" could make him "a compelling contender for the church's top job".
But he pulled out of the conclave to replace Francis last year just four days before the voting, saying he had "absolutely no ambition" to be pope, and "if I am elected, I will flee to Sicily."
The cardinal's deputy, Vicar General Marc Helfer, told AFP that the Church's internal bodies should be allowed to conduct their investigation before Lopez's shock statement on Tuesday.
"We do not know whether (the reported acts) really amount to sexual assault," he said. "We are not covering up for anyone," he insisted.
However, he questioned "the relevance" of maintaining Lopez "in his office" in an October document, which was sent to Papal Nuncio Alfred Xuereb last month with a complaint from another alleged victim who said the cardinal sexually assaulted her several times, the woman told AFP.
The Catholic Church has been dogged by child abuse by paedophile priests for decades, with Pope Francis -- who vowed to tackle the "culture of abuse" -- criticised for not doing enough to stop cover-ups.
Marie Collins, an Irish victim he appointed to the Vatican commission to tackle the problem, resigned after three years in 2017 claiming senior clerics were still putting "other concerns" before the safety of children and vulnerable adults.
- Letters told of sexual abuse -
Nadia Debbache, a Moroccan lawyer specialising in sexual violence, said the acts the cardinal is accused of could amount to "aggravated sexual harassment and aggravated sexual assault... the aggravating factor being the abuse of authority by their alleged perpetrator."
Although no criminal complaints have as yet been made in Morocco, the courts there impose heavier sentences in such crimes when they are committed by a person in a position of authority, according to Debbache.
They can also punish failure to report a crime or attempted crime, the lawyer added.
Another source who requested anonymity sent AFP four letters addressed to the nunciature and to the Vatican's doctrinal office referring to allegations of "sexual abuse by clergy, including by Father Cristobal himself."
The source said Lopez had recently requested the appointment of an eventual successor, suggesting he was contemplating a transition before his mandatory retirement at the age of 75, in 2027.
But Nuncio Xuereb said that would be "normal practice" given his age.
He told AFP that "the presumption of innocence must be preserved... until the facts are established by the competent authorities."
Ch.P.Lewis--AT