-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
France's Le Pen to announce if running for president with ankle tag
French far-right chief Marine Le Pen was Tuesday to announce if she will stand for president next year, after an appeals court paved the way for her to run but wearing an ankle tag as it confirmed her embezzlement conviction.
The Paris appeals court found the three-time presidential hopeful from the anti-immigration National Rally (RN) party guilty over a fake jobs scam at the European Parliament.
It banned her from office for 15 months and sentenced her to one year to be served with an electronic tag, throwing into doubt her candidacy in what is viewed as her party's best ever chance to win the Elysee.
A lower court in March last year had initially sentenced her to a five-year ban from public office, quashing her ambitions to succeed outgoing centrist President Emmanuel Macron in next year's polls.
Backdated to March 2025, the new ban from office is thought to have expired this year, clearing the way in principle for Le Pen to run in polls set for April and May 2027.
But she has said she may not run if wearing a tag prevents her from campaigning.
"When you're a presidential candidate, you need to be completely free to move around," she said last week in a televised interview.
"I can't depend on a magistrate to allow me to go to a rally."
Le Pen could hand the candidacy to her 30-year-old lieutenant, RN party leader Jordan Bardella.
Or she could change her mind.
Magistrates said a judge could reduce the period she has to wear an ankle tag by six months, allowing her to campaign unhindered from early next year.
She was expected to speak later Tuesday during the evening news from 8:00 pm (1800 GMT).
- 'So what?' -
Macron, visiting Syria on Tuesday, said he would not comment.
"What is healthy for democracy is that the president of the republic does not comment on court decisions," he said in Damascus.
Le Pen's lawyer Rodolphe Bosselut said he was "partially" happy with the verdict.
"We note a considerable shift in the sentences, particularly with regards to the ban from office, which for us is an extremely important point," he said.
In the northern town of Henin-Beaumont, an RN stronghold, 57-year-old plasterer Pierre Pagniez said he expected Le Pen to run.
"They need to stop trying to trip her up," he said, adding he preferred the three-time presidential candidate to the much less experienced Bardella.
"So what if she runs her campaign wearing an ankle monitor?"
Socialist party leader Olivier Faure was among leftists who said Le Pen should not run next year, as any candidate should be "exemplary".
"Le Pen, now, is alone with her conscience," he said.
Recent opinion polls have largely suggested the far right will lead in the first round of next year's vote, but are divided on the outcome of the second round.
Many have shown slightly better results for Bardella than Le Pen, but their adversaries have inferred the veteran politician would be a fiercer opponent.
An opinion poll in May suggested Le Pen could win the runoffs next year if she competes.
The Harris Interactive Toluna survey of more than 1,700 registered voters projected her winning, against hard-left figurehead Jean-Luc Melenchon as well as centrist former prime ministers Gabriel Attal and Edouard Philippe.
Other polls have, however, suggested Philippe -- who is also courting right-wing voters -- could win a runoff against the far right.
- 'Witch hunt' -
The first trial found Le Pen -- along with 24 former European lawmakers, assistants and accountants, as well as the party itself -- guilty of operating a system from 2004 to 2016 to use European Parliament funds to employ RN staff in France.
Le Pen claimed her party was the victim of a "witch hunt", and the judges received death threats.
Le Pen, the party and 10 others appealed.
During the appeal trial, she denied that the RN had a system to embezzle European Parliament funds, and has said her party acted in "complete good faith".
But prosecutors allege that after she took over the party leadership in 2011 she "professionalised" a system to divert EU funds that was first introduced haphazardly by her late father, party co-founder Jean-Marie Le Pen.
They had demanded the court maintain a five-year ban and sought a four-year term, with three years suspended.
burs-ah/sjw/rlp
A.Ruiz--AT