-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Frustrated families demand recovery of Venezuela's earthquake dead
With little hope of finding loved ones alive, frustrated families of those affected by Venezuela's double earthquakes demanded help on Friday to recover their bodies as uncertainty grows over the death toll from the tragedy.
Authorities reported nearly 2,600 deaths as of Thursday from the 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude earthquakes that struck the country last week, most in coastal town of La Guaira, where scores of residential complexes were flattened.
But officials have avoided estimating the number of missing, though the UN has put that figure at as many as 50,000. Many left homeless are also sleeping in the streets or in makeshift shelters set up in parks and public spaces.
Nine days after one of Latin America’s worst earthquake disasters, rescue teams are beginning to wind down search operations for survivors, although many relatives still cling desperately to any sound from the rubble as a sign of life.
In front of the Tahiti building in the Caraballeda sector of La Guaira, one rescuer reported hearing shouts from an adult in the early Friday morning hours.
Reports also emerged that a 9-year-old boy had been found alive, but foreign rescuers told AFP there were no traces of any survivors.
Outside the Tahiti, frustrations boiled over as families trying to recover bodies shouted at others wanting to clear the way for a potential rescue.
"Until I recover the bodies, I won't be at peace," said Jose Francisco Liendo, who was trying to dig out the bodies of his father and sister.
"Don't let the machines come and take them away like garbage."
- Stabilising presence -
Venezuela’s interim President Delcy Rodriguez has suggested there is still a possibility of finding survivors, but after nine days, that scenario is remote.
The critical window for rescues in these disasters usually closes after 72 hours, though a few people have miraculously been found alive this week.
Rodriguez assumed interim power after the capture of Nicoles Maduro in a US military operation six months ago.
The government's response to the tragedy has been the target of harsh criticism from many in La Guaira, who denounced the absence of rescuers until the arrival of international brigades.
Many residents in La Guaira said neighbors, family members, and volunteers were the first to remove rubble and search for people by hand.
AFP witnessed one volunteer urging soldiers to put down their rifles and help with the rubble removal.
Rodriguez has defended the official response and denounced media manipulation.
"Anyone who wants to audit the reality is welcome," she said in her first formal press conference as president.
The interim president currently has the support of US President Donald Trump's administration. The United States is helping coordinate international rescue efforts in Venezuela.
But exiled opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Corina Machado, who wants to return to the country, criticised the government response.
"The total absence of the state has become evident; the country needs figures it can trust," she told correspondents in Venezuela via Zoom, arguing she should be a stabilising presence there.
- 'Dead inside' -
Rodriguez has ruled out the possibility of the dead ending up in mass graves and ordered their proper identification.
A makeshift morgue is operating outdoors in the port of La Guaira, where long lines form to receive the bodies of loved ones and the death certificates.
But many families are denouncing a lack of support and heavy machinery needed in the recovery of bodies from collapsed buildings.
"They tell us no, that they're looking for the living, but what about the dead? Aren't they human beings too?" said Dalimer Diaz, 43.
"Nobody wants to remove the dead; we have to retrieve the bodies ourselves. We need machinery to help us."
Soldiers arrived at the Tahiti building where residents had been arguing. A Spanish brigade also arrived with a crane to begin removing rubble.
Aloa Gonzalez was waiting for her sister's body, buried under blocks and concrete of the Tahiti.
"I just came from burying my father and mother, and I came here to rescue my sister," she said.
"How do I feel? Dead inside," she said. "I can't believe it. I don't want to stop because I don't want to face the reality of what's happening."
Y.Baker--AT