-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Venezuela quake survivors seek food, shelter amid risk of disease outbreaks
Tens of thousands of people urgently need food and shelter in Venezuela after the two devastating earthquakes that killed more than 1,700, the UN said on Tuesday, as doctors warned of potential outbreaks of disease with survivors sleeping in the streets.
Last week's 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude quakes -- the strongest to hit the country in more than a century -- have left tens of thousands unaccounted for and prompted frantic search-and-rescue operations for survivors trapped in the rubble.
The UN refugee agency said "food shortages are widespread, basic services have broken down and connectivity has been largely severed" in the port city of La Guaira -- the worst hit area north of the capital, Caracas.
"They give out supplies here, but sometimes people nearly kill each other for food...it's like a cockfight," said Daniela Armas, 18, a vendor in La Guaira who was injured falling from a motorbike during the quakes.
The UN agency said it needed some $14.85 million to scale up aid and temporary shelter for 30,000 people over six months.
"Community tensions are rising as access to assistance remains constrained," UNHCR spokesperson Carlotta Wolf said.
The quakes likely damaged or destroyed 58,870 buildings, according to a preliminary assessment of satellite data published by NASA.
World Health Organization spokesman Christian Lindmeier said health services in Venezuela were overstretched and under "extreme pressure" after one of the worst earthquake disasters in Latin America.
"There's an increased risk now of outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases" such as measles and diphtheria, due to low pre-earthquake vaccination coverage.
Higher risks were also possible of yellow fever, malaria, dengue, chikungunya and Zika, he told reporters in Geneva.
- Bare hands -
With international rescue teams from the US, Mexico and dozens of countries scrambling with trained dogs and heavy equipment to search for survivors, Venezuelans began burying the dead they could find.
Others were frantically searching for missing loved ones in the rubble, hospitals and morgues.
"It's harder not knowing, because you ask yourself, 'What do I do? Where do I look for her?" said Rosanna Luna, looking for her sister Soraida in the rubble of her home.
AFP on Monday saw black body bags containing victims of the quake lined up near a makeshift morgue at the dock in La Guaira, where many people had come for news of loved ones or to identify remains.
Darvin Silva, 37, described how he battled to reach his mother, who died under a pillar in a collapsed building.
"The effort it took me to get her out of there with my bare hands, with sledgehammers, with pickaxes... you can't even begin to imagine," he said.
"I hope that I can now offer her the rest she deserves," he said.
The critical 72-hour window during which survivors were still likely to be found closed on Saturday evening.
But rescuers in hard hats and high-visibility vests were still picking through the twisted metal and shattered concrete.
"We've rescued 38 people so far -- 16 alive and 22 dead," said one volunteer, Moises Faramalla Perez.
"But we're still on the ground, trying to find one more person alive. That's where we are now."
Around 50,000 people are still listed as missing, according to the UN.
- Body bags -
Some seven million people in Venezuela would be affected by the disaster, the UN has said, with the quakes knocking a $6.7-billion hole in the economy -- or six percent of Venezuela's GDP.
Residents are not hiding their anger over the government's slow and limited aid in a country mired in a deep economic crisis that has driven millions to emigrate in recent years.
A total of 27 countries have mobilized nearly 40 search-and-rescue teams. They include more than 2,000 troops and personnel, along with more than 160 dogs, according to Gianluca Rampolla, the UN coordinator in Venezuela.
The world body is providing 10,000 body bags, though it hopes the final toll will be lower.
At a makeshift morgue at La Guaira's port, many are still waiting for the remains of their loved ones who are presumed dead.
"My family is there -- I'm told my sister and her children are there, as well as the children of my brother," Wilker Molalla told AFP as he waited to identify the remains.
"There were 11 people in my household," he said. "Only two of us survived because we were at work."
burs/phz/ksb/pma/cb/mjf
L.Adams--AT