-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
Quake-hit Venezuela's hospitals care for children left alone
Teenager Yenderlin Cabarza waited alone in an emergency room on Thursday, her bones broken by two powerful earthquakes that devastated Venezuela the day before.
The 13-year-old survived the twin tremors of magnitude 7.2 and 7.5 on Wednesday that killed her mother and her uncle, who shielded her body from the building that crumbled around them.
The disaster has left at least 188 people dead and injured more than 1,500 others, and Venezuela's hospitals are tending to young people whose parents are nowhere to be found.
As ambulances pulled in and out of Domingo Luciani Hospital in eastern Caracas, loved ones anxiously checked long lists of names posted on the wall of quake victims who had been admitted to the facility.
Twenty-two of those names belonged to people aged between four and 19.
These youngsters were injured in the coastal city of La Guaira, where the quakes reduced entire buildings to rubble, trapping people underneath.
Cabarza was transported by ambulance from this area, which authorities described as a "disaster zone."
"She came out with her two little arms flailing," family friend Rolando told AFP, asking to be identified by only his first name.
The girl had traveled alone in the ambulance, but Rolando and her father learned of her transfer to the hospital and joined her there.
She was already in surgery for fractures in both arms at that point. Her loved ones waited uneasily outside.
"Several of the children arrive on their own because they are brought quickly from the place where they are rescued," according to a doctor who requested anonymity because staff are not authorized to give statements.
"Most of them don't have any family. They arrive alone," another doctor said.
"What the paramedics tell us is that they pull them out of the rubble, put them in the ambulance, and bring them here because the hospitals in La Guaira are really full."
- Waiting for answers -
Family members and friends stood around restlessly in the waiting room, where a hospital worker tried to maintain order in the chaos.
"Family members must stay in the waiting room," the employee shouted through a megaphone, reminding relatives that they were lucky to be alive.
Those waiting snapped photos of the lists on the wall.
Loved ones desperate for information about the whereabouts of the missing meanwhile have flooded the internet with social media posts.
"I've just come from Perez Carreno Hospital and I didn't find my sister there either," 52-year-old Zoraida Hernandez told AFP.
Hernandez has been frantically searching for her sister since learning that her house on the coast had collapsed.
A medical worker carrying a stretcher told AFP that the hospital morgue was full.
Venezuela has recorded more than 130 aftershocks following the deadly tremors, which were felt as far away as neighboring Colombia.
M.King--AT