-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
Platini switches to French courts in long-running FIFA feud
Michel Platini said Monday he is suing the head of world football Gianni Infantino in the latest chapter in a battle that began when scandal derailed the Frenchman's 2015 bid for the FIFA presidency.
In a statement sent to AFP four days before the start of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, 70-year-old Platini, who ran the 1998 edition in France, said his lawyers had filed two complaints in French courts.
The statement said the French justice system "is tasked with fully uncovering the conspiracy hatched against French soccer player Michel Platini to prevent him from assuming the FIFA presidency that had been promised to him".
When Sepp Blatter fell as president of the governing body of world football in 2015, Platini, the head of European governing body UEFA, stepped forward as the most likely successor.
But the former France captain and coach was quickly submerged in the widening scandal. Instead his deputy at UEFA, Infantino, grabbed the FIFA presidency, starting a long-running vendetta.
On Monday, Platini named Infantino, 56, as well as former FIFA officials Marco Villiger and Domenico Scala, as targets of his suit. He also asked for former Swiss Attorney Michael Lauber and other officials in that department to be investigated by their French counterparts.
The first of the actions announced by Platini's statement on Monday is a civil suit "to seek compensation for all the damages he has suffered as a result of the tactics used to prevent him from being elected FIFA President in 2015".
The second is a criminal complaint to force an investigation into a "criminal conspiracy to commit false accusation...influence peddling....and aiding and abetting influence peddling.
"This complaint specifically targets the individuals who worked to eliminate Michel Platini from the race for the FIFA presidency."
Platini has previously filed two separate complaints in Switzerland, but neither came to court.
Swiss prosecutors, for their part, launched a long-running criminal action against Platini for a payment he received from FIFA in 2011, but have three times failed to obtain a conviction.
Swiss authorities have also investigated Infantino for his use of private jets and for three secret meetings with Lauber in 2016 and 2017.
Platini reiterated on Monday that he believed he had been wronged.
"The Parisian investigating judge, along with investigative agencies, police, and gendarmerie, are tasked with uncovering and exposing the internal manoeuvres within FIFA, with the possible complicity of Swiss magistrates, to block the path of the three-time Ballon d'Or winner to the helm of world soccer," said the statement.
T.Wright--AT