-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
France probes judicial 'dysfunction' after girl's suspected murder
France's government on Friday grappled with outrage over an 11-year-old girl's killing after it emerged that the main suspect was previously accused of sexually abusing children.
"It is clear that there has been a dysfunction," President Emmanuel Macron said in Montenegro where he was attending a European summit. "It's unacceptable."
He said he had urged Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu's government to investigate what had gone wrong at a cabinet meeting on Friday.
A girl, named in the press only as Lyhanna, went missing on May 29 near the southwestern village of Fleurance after she was last seen getting into a man's car.
After days of combing the countryside, investigators found the body of a child wearing the same clothes as her in an abandoned silo on Thursday. Formal identification is under way.
A 41-year-old father of two, whose daughter was a school friend of Lyhanna, has been detained as the key suspect.
Incomprehension has grown nationwide after it emerged the suspect had twice previously been formally accused of raping a child, but the investigations had either been dropped or stalled.
Justice Minister Gerald Darmanin was, according to his team, to summon all public prosecutors in Paris on Monday morning.
- Wider problem -
Prosecutor Clemence Meyer on Wednesday listed the previous complaints against the suspect.
In December 2017, a mother reported that her 17-year-old daughter was in a relationship with the man. The case was dropped in 2018 after the girl said she had consented.
In January 2022, a complaint accused him of raping a child younger than 15 in 2020 at his home in southwestern France. The case was dismissed in 2024 for lack of evidence.
In a third case, on August 22, 2025, the mother of a girl born in 2014 accused him of raping her child between September 2024 and May 2025 at his home, the prosecutor said.
But police still had not questioned him when 11-year-old Lyhanna disappeared nine months later.
The mayor of Fleurance Gregory Bobbato on Thursday there was something deeply wrong with the way investigations were conducted.
"Must we always wait for fully established evidence to be produced before finally doing something to protect our children?"
Denis Roth-Fichet, of an independent commission into the sexual abuse of children called CIVIISE, told AFP the case was illustrative of a much wider problem.
He said investigations were dropped in almost three out of four complaints for alleged sexual abuse of a minor.
Only seven percent of complaints for sexual assault of a minor and three percent of those for rape of a child result in a conviction, according to the CIVIISE.
- 'Check this man's computer' -
Candidates for next year's presidential elections have also weighed in.
Centrist hopeful Edouard Philippe on Thursday called for investigations to be sped up to better protect children.
"When a child's testimony is collected or reported, why doesn't the entire state apparatus immediately go on alert?" he asked.
Far-right contender Jordan Bardella, who has been leading in the opinion polls and will run if Marine Le Pen is banned from office, said the crime "could have been -- should have been -- avoided".
Anne-Cecile Mailfert, of the Women's Foundation activist group, earlier this week said the judicial system was failing in protecting children -- even when a young child was brave enough to speak up and file a legal complaint with her parents.
"The system doesn't work," she said.
Michele Creoff, of the Union for Childhood association, was also indignant.
"Did anyone go and check this man's computer? The websites he visits?" she asked.
burs-ah/yad
J.Gomez--AT