-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
New to The Street Broadcasts Today Across Bloomberg Television U.S., Latin America and MENA at 6:30 PM ET
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Trump admin agrees to temporarily freeze 'slush fund' for allies
The Justice Department said Monday it will abide by a court order temporarily freezing a $1.8 billion compensation package that critics have denounced as a "slush fund" for President Donald Trump's political allies.
The move comes amid US media reports that the Trump administration plans to scrap plans for the fund, which has come in for fierce criticism by Democrats and even some members of Trump's Republican Party.
US District Judge Leonie Brinkema barred the administration last week from taking any further action to create or operate the so-called "Anti-Weaponization Fund" ahead of a June 12 court hearing.
In a statement on X, the Justice Department said it "disagrees strongly" with Brinkema's decision but "will abide by the court's ruling."
The fund was "established in order to make up for the tremendous abuse, harm, and hate unfairly shown to so many people," the department said, and is "open to anybody who was so weaponized, targeted, or persecuted, whether they were Democrat, Republican, Conservative, Independent, or otherwise."
According to Axios and other US news outlets, the Trump administration plans to drop the fund. "It's dead for now," Axios quoted a source as saying.
The White House, when asked by AFP to comment on press reports that the administration was planning to scrap the fund, replied with a link to the X post by the Justice Department.
The fund was created by the Justice Department as part of an extraordinary settlement of Trump's civil lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns by a former government contractor.
The administration says it is intended to compensate people who suffered from government "weaponization" and "lawfare" -- Trump's terms for what he says was the politically motivated targeting of conservatives and his supporters.
But opponents say the fund has no clear legal basis, little public oversight and could be used to reward loyalists, including defendants convicted of crimes related to the January 6, 2021 assault on the US Capitol by Trump supporters.
Trump, on his first day back in office last year, pardoned more than 1,500 people convicted of attacking Congress in an effort to overturn Joe Biden's 2020 election victory.
Brinkema's order came after a lawsuit by a group of plaintiffs who argued that the fund amounted to a "collusive agreement" between Trump and his administration, with "no congressional authorization, no basis in law, and no accountability."
The fund has become politically toxic even among some Republicans.
Senate Republican leaders recently postponed a vote on a major bill funding Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Border Patrol partly because of concerns that the fund could allow January 6 defendants to receive taxpayer money.
The lawsuit before Brinkema is one of several legal challenges seeking to stop the fund, including cases brought by law enforcement officers who clashed with rioters and by government oversight groups.
A.Clark--AT