-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
New to The Street Broadcasts Today Across Bloomberg Television U.S., Latin America and MENA at 6:30 PM ET
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
German ex-minister faces perjury charges over failed car toll plan
A former German transport minister faces a perjury trial related to a failed scheme to charge foreign motorists highway tolls, a debacle that cost the government hundreds of millions of euros.
Berlin prosecutors accuse Andreas Scheuer of lying before a parliamentary committee investigating the issue, and the Berlin regional court said Friday that it had accepted the indictment.
Scheuer, 51, a former minister with the Bavaria-based Christian Social Union (CSU) who has since left politics, has rejected the claims against him, as has state secretary at the time, Gerhard Schulz, a co-defendant in the case.
The passenger car toll plan had been pushed by the CSU, whose leaders had voiced annoyance that while German drivers pay highway tolls in many other European countries, foreign drivers get a free ride on Germany's autobahn.
They came up with a plan to levy tolls for all drivers but then compensate German motorists by reducing their motor vehicle taxes, a scheme that was shot down in 2019 by the European Court of Justice for breaching EU rules.
By that time, however, Scheuer's ministry had already entered into binding contracts with the designated toll scheme operators.
This ended up costing the German government 243 million euros ($283 million at current exchange rates) in damages paid to the companies involved, CTS Eventim and Kapsch TrafficCom.
According to prosecutors, Scheuer and Schulz allegedly made "deliberate false statements" to the parliamentary committee investigating the issue.
When asked by MPs whether the companies had offered in late 2018 to postpone signing the contracts until after the ECJ ruling, both men allegedly "stated, contrary to their actual recollection, that they could not remember such an offer of postponement," the prosecutor's office said.
No date has yet been announced for the first court hearing.
Ch.Campbell--AT