-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
-
German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest
-
Asian allies stress 'critical' US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Pant fastest to 100 sixes as India set Sri Lanka 372 to win first Test
-
Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
Russia rebukes Japan ambassador over disputed islands row
-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
-
Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim
-
ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman
-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
Future looks bright for Ireland and Farrell, says ex-Irish prop Ross
Andy Farrell will "not be happy" that Ireland finished runners-up in the Six Nations, but he will be satisfied at the depth he has built with the Rugby World Cup looming next year, former Irish prop Mike Ross told AFP.
The Irish had their hands -- virtually -- on the Six Nations trophy until Thomas Ramos grabbed it back for France with the very last kick of a thrilling tournament, to secure victory over England on Saturday.
Just as last year, the French were the only side to beat the Irish, a 36-14 hammering in the opening game.
Ireland could console themselves with a fourth Triple Crown in five years, after an impressive 43-21 win over Scotland.
Ross, capped 61 times and a member of two Six Nations title-winning sides, said that the Irish deserved a "B plus" for their campaign.
"Ireland got better and better, it would be quite interesting if they were playing France next week," Ross told AFP by telephone on Sunday.
"Andy Farrell won't be happy coming second but he will look back satisfied with several young players like Darragh Murray making their Six Nations debuts.
"Also he experimented with lots of different combinations."
Farrell used more than 30 players in the tournament, with several such as Stuart McCloskey, Robert Baloucoune and Tommy O'Brien oustanding.
Ross, who won two European Cup trophies with Leinster, said that such building of depth puts Ireland in a good place.
Several key players like fullback Hugo Keenan, wing Mack Hansen and prop Andrew Porter missed the entire campaign and face serious competition to regain their starting roles.
Jamie Osborne, Baloucoune and O'Brien, who replaced the injured James Lowe, sparkled at fullback and on the wings.
Even the old warrior Bundee Aki faces a fight for his starting spot, as arguably Ireland's player of the tournament McCloskey was finally given a proper run in the centres.
"Farrell really has succeeded in developing the depth of the squad, I think more so than there was ahead of the 2023 World Cup," said Ross.
"Take the loosehead prop position. There were a few difficult weeks but now there is a bit more optimism.
"Tom O'Toole, who was the fifth choice, was amazing against Wales and Scotland.
"Jeremy Loughman also played well before he was injured, so they both gave an idea of what life without Porter looked like."
- 'Strong as hell' -
As for McCloskey, who has 28 caps, finally making his mark at 33, Ross said he was unfortunate to have been around at the same time as Aki and Robbie Henshaw.
"Most of my caps came when I was in my 30s," added Ross.
Age, though, could be a factor for several of the Irish stars when it comes to the World Cup.
Tadhg Beirne, Tadhg Furlong and Jack Conan will all be in their mid 30s when it kicks-off in Australia on October 1 next year.
"Time does catch up with you," said Ross, who played his last Test in 2016 aged 36.
"The power is the first thing to go. You can be strong as hell but not moving quite as quickly."
Ireland scrum-half Jamison Gibson-Park is another who will be in his mid 30s.
However, 'le petit general', as Ross likes to call him, formed an effective half-back partnership with fly-half Jack Crowley in the final three matches of the tournament.
Crowley had begun the Six Nations behind Sam Prendergast, who at 23 is three years younger than him but was underwhelming against France and Italy.
"He (Crowley) has taken the jersey," said Ross.
"I think he and 'le petit general' are building something together.
"I would fancy Sam to come back into the frame, after rebuilding his confidence at Leinster.
"Ireland are very lucky to have two talented young out-halves."
Globally speaking, Ross believes it is a pretty rosy picture.
"We are in a good place," he said. "I am cautiously optimistic."
pi/bc
Ch.Campbell--AT