-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
-
German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest
-
Asian allies stress 'critical' US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Pant fastest to 100 sixes as India set Sri Lanka 372 to win first Test
-
Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
Russia rebukes Japan ambassador over disputed islands row
-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
Iran state media says two more footballers pull Australia asylum bids
Two more players of the Iranian women's football team, which competed in the Asian Cup in Australia, and one member of the backroom staff have withdrawn their requests for asylum in the country, Iranian state media said on Saturday.
Seven members of the visiting women's football delegation -- six players and one backroom staff member -- had sought sanctuary in Australia after they were branded "traitors" at home for refusing to sing the national anthem during the ongoing war between Iran and the US and its ally Israel.
One of the players had withdrawn her request earlier in the week and linked up with the rest of the team who are returning to Iran via Malaysia, according to Iranian media and Australian authorities.
State broadcaster IRIB said on Saturday "two players and a member of the technical staff of the women's national football team, have given up on their asylum application in Australia and are currently heading to Malaysia."
It posted a picture of the three women -- wearing the Islamic hijab -- as they were apparently about to board a plane.
The rest of the team are believed to still be in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur awaiting their return to Iran.
According to Australian authorities, the first woman who changed her mind over the asylum application exposed the location of the other asylum seekers when she contacted Iran's embassy in Australia.
They were then forced to change the safe house where they were living.
Rights groups have repeatedly accused Iranian authorities of pressuring athletes abroad by threatening relatives or with the seizure of property if they defect or make statements against the Islamic republic.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has lauded the bravery of the women, vowing they would be welcomed with open arms.
But Iran's governing football body has accused Australia of kidnapping the players and forcing them to forsake their home nation against their will.
Iranian players fell silent as the national anthem played ahead of a tournament match in Australia, an act seen as a symbol of defiance against the Islamic republic.
A presenter on Iranian state TV branded the players "wartime traitors", fuelling fears they faced persecution, or worse, if they returned home.
Five players, including captain Zahra Ghanbari, slipped away from the team hotel under the cover of darkness to claim asylum in Australia.
Two more team members -- a player and a support staffer -- claimed asylum before the team flew out of Sydney earlier this week.
W.Stewart--AT