-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
Iran 'welcome to compete' in World Cup, says Trump
US President Donald Trump would "welcome" Iran's participation at the upcoming World Cup in North America, despite the ongoing Middle East war, the White House said on Wednesday.
The war, triggered by US-Israeli strikes on February 28, has thrown into doubt Iran's participation at this summer's men's football World Cup, jointly hosted by Canada, Mexico and the United States.
The US administration was confirming an Instagram post by FIFA chief Gianni Infantino earlier in the day.
Infantino wrote that at a meeting to discuss preparations for the competition, "President Trump reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States."
The comments marked the first time that Infantino, who in December created a FIFA Peace Prize and awarded it to Trump, has acknowledged the ongoing war in the Middle East.
Trump's remarks to Infantino are a stark contrast to his comments last week when he told Politico: "I really don't care" if Iran play at the World Cup."
The US president's change of stance came as Iranian officials suggested they might not turn up anyway after American and Israeli attacks, including the killing of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
"Considering that this corrupt government has assassinated our leader, we do not have the conditions to attend the World Cup in anyway," Ahmad Donyamali, the Minister of Sports and Youth, told state-run television on Tuesday.
"They have forced two wars on us in eight or nine months, and have killed and martyred several thousand of our people. Therefore, we definitely do not have the possibility to attend."
- Asylum claims -
Iran's federation football chief on Tuesday also cast doubt on his team's participation in the sporting extravaganza, following the defection of several women footballers from the Islamic republic during the Asian Cup in Australia last week.
"If the World Cup is like this, who in their right mind would send their national team to a place like this?" Mehdi Taj asked on Iranian state television.
While the event is spread out across three countries, Iran are scheduled to play all three group games in the United States, two in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.
Should Iran withdraw from the sport's quadrennial showpiece, it would be the first time a country did that since France and India pulled out of the 1950 finals in Brazil.
On Tuesday, at the Women's Asian Cup in Australia, several players from Iran's team claimed asylum after they came under fire from state television for not singing the country's national anthem before one match.
Five players, including captain Zahra Ghanbari, slipped away from the team hotel under the cover of darkness to claim sanctuary from Australian officials, the Australian government announced.
At least two more team members applied to stay in Australia later in the day, according to local media.
However, Australia's Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said on Wednesday that one of the players had subsequently changed her mind.
Burke said in parliament on Wednesday that he had since been advised that one of the group "had spoken to some of the teammates that left and changed their mind".
"She had been advised by her teammates and encouraged to contact the Iranian embassy," he said.
"As a result of that, it meant the Iranian embassy now knew the location of where everybody was."
The remaining players have been moved from a safe house to another location, he said.
Ch.Campbell--AT