-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
PSG beaten by Monaco before Chelsea Champions League showdown
US national team star Folarin Balogun was among the scorers as Monaco won 3-1 at Paris Saint-Germain on Friday, dealing a blow to the side from the French capital before they face Chelsea in a crunch Champions League last-16 tie.
Maghnes Akliouche gave Monaco a first-half lead at the Parc des Princes and Aleksandr Golovin doubled their advantage early in the second half of the Ligue 1 clash.
Bradley Barcola pulled one back for the reigning European champions, but Balogun struck shortly after with a fifth goal in his last five games as Monaco claimed a precious win in their quest to qualify for Europe next season.
The principality side were seeking revenge after a 5-4 aggregate defeat by PSG in the Champions League knockout phase play-offs last month, when they squandered a two-goal lead before losing 3-2 in the first leg and came up short with a 2-2 draw in the return.
That result allowed Luis Enrique's side to reach the last 16 and they are now preparing to put their title on the line against Chelsea, with the first leg in Paris on Wednesday and the return on March 17.
That will be a season-defining tie for PSG, who won the Champions League for the first time last season, before losing 3-0 to Chelsea in the Club World Cup final.
"It is not the best result going into the Champions League. We are aware of that," said Luis Enrique.
"When you play like that against a team in a very positive dynamic like Monaco, you pay for it."
The result is a setback for PSG in their bid to win a fifth consecutive Ligue 1 title, with closest challengers Lens now able to trim their lead at the top from four points to one by beating bottom side Metz on Sunday.
This was PSG's fourth league loss in 25 games this season, as many defeats as in the last two seasons combined.
They have now been beaten seven times in all competitions in 2025/26, and four times this calendar year.
Luis Enrique will be concerned at how far away his team are from the remarkable form they showed in the second half of last season on their way to winning the Champions League as well as a French league and cup double.
"We are clearly in difficulty at the moment but we need to maintain hope that will change," he added. "Confidence is not just something you buy at the supermarket."
- Dembele returns -
One plus was the latest return from injury of last year's Ballon d'Or winner Ousmane Dembele, who came off the bench in the second half.
However, he has started only 14 of PSG's 40 games this season and it remains to be seen how long he will be able to play against Chelsea.
Monaco were worthy winners, going ahead just before the half-hour mark.
PSG's Warren Zaire-Emery gave possession away inside his own box, and the ball ricocheted into the path of Balogun who teed up French international Akliouche to score.
The hosts were wasteful with their final ball and Golovin showed them how it should be done on 55 minutes, the Russian applying a clinical first-time finish with his first touch having come on as a substitute after Vitinha inadvertently played the ball into his path.
PSG got one back on 71 minutes when Achraf Hakimi set up Barcola to score his 10th of the season with a first-time effort that took a deflection off Jordan Teze and beat Monaco 'keeper Philipp Koehn at his near post.
But Monaco snuffed out the PSG comeback, Balogun's shot from outside the area going in via a touch off Nuno Mendes.
That was a 13th of the season in all competitions for the striker who is set to play a leading role for co-hosts the United States at the World Cup.
Monaco have won five and drawn two of their last seven Ligue 1 games and are up to fifth in the table.
T.Wright--AT