-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
Seven countries to boycott Paralympics ceremony over Russia: organisers
Organisers of the Milan-Cortina Paralympics confirmed on Thursday that seven countries will boycott the opening ceremony in protest at Russian athletes being allowed to compete under their own flag for the first time since 2014.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said last month it would allow six Russians and four athletes from Belarus to take part in the Games under their national flags rather than as neutral competitors.
Russia and Belarus were banned from the 2022 Paralympics following the invasion of Ukraine, although they were permitted to compete as neutral athletes in the Paris Summer Paralympics two years later.
Following the IPC's announcement, several countries, including Ukraine, said they would boycott Friday's opening ceremony in Verona as a result.
"You will have seen also in the last 10 days news of some National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) who have decided not to come for political reasons and there's been various numbers (reported)," IPC communications officer Craig Spence told a press conference in Cortina on Thursday.
"I've seen numbers ranging from seven to 15. So let me be very clear on the NPCs who are not coming for political reasons.
"We have Czechia, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine."
Spence added the IPC "respect that decision" to boycott the ceremony.
With the curtain-raiser taking place far away from the competition sites of Cortina, Val di Fiemme and Milan, the IPC indicated that other countries would not have athletes present at the ceremony but insisted that was due to their decision to "prioritise athletic performance".
"Canada, Great Britain, Germany, France, they're not boycotting the ceremony," Spence explained. "They've told us that they are not coming for performance reasons."
With several events, including alpine skiing, starting on Saturday from 0830 GMT, many athletes have elected to stay close to their bases.
Spence added that many countries informed the IPC last year that they would be unable to attend the ceremony at the historic Verona Arena.
"In November we were informed by several nations that they wouldn't be able to come to the ceremony because they wanted to prioritise athletic performance and the IPC completely respects that," he said.
"At the end of the day athletes have been training for this moment for many years and if they're prioritising performance then we're happy with that."
The IPC said many nations have sent 12-second videos of their athletes, which will be "dropped into the opening ceremony".
W.Morales--AT