-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
Carlos Alcaraz maintained his 100-percent start to the year by battling past Frenchman Valentin Royer in Doha on Wednesday, while his great rival Jannik Sinner also secured a quarter-final place.
The world number one, who became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam at the Australian Open earlier this month, notched his ninth straight win of 2025 with a 6-2, 7-5 success despite trailing 5-2 in the second set.
"There were some moments when I thought about a third set, I'm not going to lie, but obviously it was just a small place in my mind that was thinking that," Alcaraz said.
"The rest was working to find solutions, to find the right way again."
The 22-year-old will play Russian seventh seed Karen Khachanov for a semi-final berth on Thursday.
Alcaraz has won all five of his previous meetings with Khachanov, losing only one set in the process.
Alcaraz raced through the opening set against Royer, breaking twice without facing a break point.
But the 60th-ranked Royer raised his level in the second, missing a break point in the second game but making no mistake shortly afterwards to stretch 3-1 in front.
Alcaraz immediately carved out an opportunity to hit straight back in the next game, but Royer managed to consolidate his break.
The underdog could not close out the set when he served for it, though, as Alcaraz broke back in game nine.
The Spaniard made Royer pay, eventually reeling off five consecutive games to wrap up victory.
- Sinner powers through -
Italian Sinner, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 win over Australian Alexei Popyrin.
Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in the quarters.
The world number two has now won his last 50 matches against players ranked outside the top 50, a run dating back to a loss to Dusan Lajovic in Cincinnati in 2023.
"I respect every player, but I always try to play my best tennis," Sinner said when told of that streak.
"The ranking, at the end of the day, is just a number. Everyone is playing (with) high quality.
"Especially when the opponents don't have much to lose, you always have to stay very focused."
Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.
Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set, which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.
Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving out the set.
Stefanos Tsitsipas reached his first quarter-final since the Barcelona Open last April, beating former world number one Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-4.
France's Arthur Fils, playing only his fourth tournament since withdrawing from last year's French Open injured, saw off compatriot Quentin Halys 6-1, 7-6 (9/7).
E.Rodriguez--AT