-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
'US-versus-World' All-Star Game divides NBA players
The NBA's ploy to inject intensity into this weekend's All-Star Game with a new US-versus-the-world format has divided basketball's biggest superstars before a single slam dunk has been scored.
Once a highlight of the calendar, the All-Star Game has suffered from a lack of competitiveness and declining audiences, forcing NBA bosses to pivot from the traditional East-versus-West format.
On Sunday, a "Team World" will play two teams of US players in a mini-tournament, highlighting the globalized nature of a league that has given its Most Valuable Player award to foreign players for seven years running.
French prodigy Victor Wembanyama on Saturday gave the move his blessing, telling reporters that the new format "definitely has a chance to" ramp up the intensity.
"We've seen that many of the best players have been increasingly foreign players. So there is some pride on that side," he explained.
"I guess there is some pride also on the American side, which is normal. So I think anything that gets closer to representing a country brings out that pride."
However, Detroit Pistons star Cade Cunningham, who will represent one of the US teams, was left yearning for the All-Star Games of his youth and felt the formula did not need to be changed.
"I would like to experience the East versus West -- I want to be able to experience what all the greats played in," he said.
"But I'm just playing the cards I was dealt, and I'm sure it will come back eventually."
- 'Dream Team' -
In a similar vein to the 1992 Olympics' mesmerizing "Dream Team" of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird, the 75-year-old All-Star Game has historically helped popularize the NBA worldwide.
But viewership has declined. Comparing the strength of the NBA's local and international players is the latest attempt to reverse those declines.
American players still make up around 70 percent of NBA rosters. But foreign superstars have become increasingly influential.
Giannis Antetokounmpo, Nikola Jokic, Joel Embiid and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander -- all foreign players -- have swept the last seven league MVP awards.
Slovenian Luka Doncic is knocking on the door, while Wembanyama could be the league's next top star.
At the Intuit Dome, home of the Los Angeles Clippers, 24 stars will be divided into three teams, who will compete in a mini-tournament of four 12-minute games.
- 'Don't care' -
The teams may be new, but some tensions and contrasts are already evident.
Kevin Durant this week bristled at constant complaints at the lack of All-Star Game efforts by veteran US stars, urging a reporter to "ask the Europeans and the World Team if they want to compete."
Singling out Doncic and Jokic as players who "don't care about the game at all," he noted that in previous years, they "be laying on the floor, shooting from half-court."
Durant suggested a racist element to the criticism frequently aimed at older US players like himself, who are predominantly Black.
"I can read between the lines, bro," he said.
On Saturday, Durant played down that controversy, but also the game itself.
"I just feel like fans and media need something to complain about, and the All-Star Game don't make them feel like it made them feel back when they was kids," he said.
"I don't think it's that big of a deal, to be honest, the All Star Game."
Doncic, confirming he is likely to play after a minor injury, diplomatically predicted, "it's going to be better than in recent years."
Jokic expected some difference in approaches between US and European players.
"I think it will be competitive in some way. I think Europeans are going to probably pass the ball out and have fun out there," he said.
"Oldies are gonna probably win it," he added, referring to the US veterans team.
He added: "We're going to see tomorrow."
H.Romero--AT