-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
Ukraine skeleton racer Heraskevych banned from Olympics over memorial helmet
Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych was disqualified from the Winter Olympics on Thursday after refusing to back down over his banned helmet, which depicts victims of his country's war with Russia.
The athlete had insisted he would continue to wear the headgear, which carries pictures of Ukrainian sportsmen and women killed since Russian forces invaded Ukraine in 2022, in competition.
But the International Olympic Committee said Heraskevych had been kicked out of the Milan-Cortina Games after failing "to adhere to the IOC athlete expression guidelines".
Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky had defended the 27-year-old's right to wear the helmet but gestures of a political nature during competition are forbidden under the Olympic charter.
The IOC's decision was labelled a "moment of shame" by Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga while a defiant Heraskevych posted on X: "This is (the) price of our dignity", alongside a picture of his helmet.
Heraskevych has the option to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport but CAS told AFP it had not heard from him.
The IOC said in a statement that the skeleton racer's accreditation had been withdrawn after he had been given a final opportunity to change his mind.
"The decision followed his refusal to comply with the IOC's Guidelines on Athlete Expression," it said.
"It was taken by the jury of the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) based on the fact that the helmet he intended to wear was not compliant with the rules."
Athletes are permitted to express their views in press conferences and on social media, and on Tuesday the IOC had said it would "make an exception" for Heraskevych, allowing him to wear a plain black armband during competition.
"Mr Heraskevych was able to display his helmet in all training runs," the IOC statement added. "The IOC also offered him the option of displaying it immediately after the competition when going through the mixed zone."
The Ukrainian told reporters at the Cortina Sliding Centre that he believed the decision was "totally wrong".
"Especially when we had already in this Olympic Games other cases, when athletes in almost equal situations were treated differently and didn't face any sanctions," he said.
"I have really bad thoughts, and I believe that this situation also plays along with Russian propaganda," he added.
- Powerful message -
IOC president Kirsty Coventry met with Heraskevych early on Thursday morning in a last-ditch attempt to persuade him to change his mind before his competition. Coventry was in tears after the meeting, according to video images.
"The president was very emotional about this because she invested a great deal of time in getting the athletes' expression guidelines over the line," IOC spokesperson Mark Adams told a briefing in Milan.
Kyiv reacted with fury to the decision to ban Heraskevych.
"The IOC has banned not the Ukrainian athlete, but its own reputation," Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said on social media. "Future generations will recall this as a moment of shame."
Ukraine's Sports minister Matviy Bidnyi threatened legal action.
Adams told the IOC briefing: "We dearly wanted him to compete. It would have sent a very powerful message.
"It is not about his message, it is not about the message he wanted to give, it is the place. We cannot have athletes having pressure put on them by their political masters."
Ukrainian fans outside the Cortina Sliding Centre expressed their dismay over the decision.
Irina Nalivayko, from Kyiv, said: "These people that he showed in his helmet, they're real people that died because of the Russian invasion," she said.
"The war is still going, we're still freezing, we still have no electricity. People are still dying and this is not good. It's unacceptable."
Heraskevych displayed a banner that read "No War in Ukraine" at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, just days before Russia launching its invasion of its neighbour.
The conflict has resulted in a massive wave of destruction that has left entire cities in ruins and killed tens of thousands of soldiers and civilians, while forcing millions to flee their homes.
L.Adams--AT