-
NYC immigrant hubs eye FIFA bounce after Trump crackdown woe
-
Missile strikes pound Kyiv after Russia vows retaliation
-
China rescuers search for missing after mine blast kills 82
-
Security forces swarm White House after shots fired
-
Usyk rocked but beats Verhoeven to retain heavyweight titles
-
Enhanced Games boss predicts multiple feats beyond world records
-
Kim's lead trimmed to two at PGA CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
Large police presence around White House after reports of shots fired: AFP
-
Ebola toll tops 200, other African countries seen at risk
-
Russell snatches pole in Canada with late lap to frustrate Antonelli
-
Romania's Mungiu wins top prize at glitzy Cannes finale
-
Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico
-
Russell grabs pole for Mercedes 1-2 at Canadian GP
-
Trump says agreement with Iran 'largely negotiated,' includes opening strait
-
Bayern salute 'best transfer ever' Kane after 21st German Cup triumph
-
Real Madrid end troubled Liga season with win, Mallorca, Girona down
-
Quiet Chinese county hit by deadly coal mine disaster
-
Mungiu wins Cannes again with culture wars drama
-
'Fjord' by Romania's Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes best film prize
-
Persistence pays off for Barcelona Champions League final hero Pajor
-
Kane hat-trick seals double as Bayern claim 21st German Cup
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbia demanding elections
-
NASCAR driver Busch died of sepsis after pneumonia: family
-
Enhanced Games athletes under scrutiny as health fears swirl
-
Emotional Hull celebrate 'incredible' promotion to Premier League
-
Shreyas Iyer scores maiden IPL century as Punjab beat Lucknow
-
Pajor, Paralluelo star as Barcelona thrash Lyon to win Women's Champions League
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbian capital demanding elections
-
Bru challenges Bordeaux-Begles to show 'true selves' in Top 14 after Champions Cup defence
-
Russell resists Antonelli in Canadian GP F1 sprint race
-
Defending Champions Cup title 'special' for Bordeaux's Tameifuna
-
Hull promoted to Premier League after McBurnie strikes late in play-off final
-
Buse outlasts Paul for Hamburg title to end Peruvian drought
-
Thousands gather in Serbian capital to call for elections
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storming to victory in 14th stage
-
American Tien warms up for Roland Garros with Geneva Open win
-
Fils pulls out of home Grand Slam with painful injury
-
Bielle-Biarrey, Lucu inspire Bordeaux-Begles past Leinster to Champions Cup defence
-
French court hands man 25-year term for torture, rape of ex-partner
-
China authorities report 82 dead in coal mine blast, serious violations
-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'positive' meeting over dispute
-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
Missile strikes pound Kyiv after Russia vows retaliation
A large ballistic missile attack pounded Kyiv early on Sunday, authorities said, wounding at least five people after Moscow threatened retaliation for strikes in Russian-occupied eastern Ukraine.
Loud explosions were heard in the Ukrainian capital, causing a residential building near the government district to shake, while dozens took shelter in an underground metro station in the city centre, according to AFP journalists.
"The capital has come under a mass ballistic missile attack," Tymur Tkachenko, head of the Kyiv City Military Administration, wrote on Telegram.
Mayor Vitali Klitschko said five people had been wounded and one of them hospitalised.
"There are currently reports of at least 4 locations affected by the attack: Shevchenkivsky, Dniprovsky and Podilsky districts. Fires and damage to residential buildings are preliminarily reported," Tkachenko said.
"A strike drone attack is ongoing; the ballistic missile threat remains present. Stay in shelters!"
Ukrainian authorities and the US embassy had earlier warned of a possible siginificant attack on the capital after Russia said it would "punish" those responsible for deadly strikes in a part of eastern Ukraine under its control.
Klitschko said medical teams were called to the Podilsky district in Kyiv's northwest, where debris fell in a non-residential area.
The attack also sparked a fire near a residential building in nearby Shevchenkivsky, he added.
- Missile attack warning -
Kyiv had earlier warned it was expecting a major Russian missile attack after its own forces launched a drone barrage in the Russian-occupied east, which Moscow said hit a college dormitory and killed at least 18 people.
Launched overnight on Thursday to Friday, the drone salvo -- one of Ukraine's deadliest such strikes in months -- also wounded 42 in Starobilsk, in the occupied Lugansk region, trapping people beneath the debris.
Ukraine denied targeting civilians, saying it had hit a Russian drone unit stationed in the Starobilsk area.
Russia's foreign ministry said on Friday that those responsible would face "inevitable and severe punishment".
On Saturday both Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and the US embassy in Kyiv issued warnings about the risk of a major Russian airstrike in the coming hours.
"We are seeing signs of preparation for a combined strike on Ukrainian territory, including Kyiv, involving various types of weaponry" including the Oreshnik, a Russian nuclear-capable hypersonic missile, Zelensky said in a post on social media.
The US embassy said it had "received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occur at any time over the next 24 hours".
Ukraine regularly targets Russian-controlled areas of the country with drones, saying the strikes are retaliation for Russian attacks.
- Dormitory death toll -
Russia's emergency ministry said on Saturday it had pulled two more bodies from the rubble of the dormitory, taking the death toll to 18.
Video shared by the ministry showed dozens of rescuers sifting through what remained of a section of the five-storey building.
Most of those killed and missing were young women born between 2003 and 2008, according to a list of casualties published by the Moscow-backed governor of occupied Lugansk, Leonid Pasechnik.
"The region and the entire country share the fate of these people and the pain of their families," he said on Telegram.
The United Nations said on Friday it "strongly condemns any attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure, wherever they occur", adding it could not verify details due to restricted access to the area.
Starobilsk lies about 65 kilometres (40 miles) from the front line in eastern Ukraine. It was captured by Russian forces in the early months of the offensive in 2022.
Kyiv has recently expanded its drone capabilities and stepped up strikes on undisputed Russian territory, including residential areas and oil export infrastructure.
Moscow has launched mass barrages of missiles and drones at Ukraine almost daily since the full-scale offensive began in 2022, also hitting infrastructure and causing civilian deaths. It denies targeting civilians.
US-led efforts to negotiate an end to more than four years of war have slowed in recent months with Washington's attention diverted towards its conflict in the Middle East.
P.Smith--AT