-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit
-
Maguire 'shocked' to be omitted from England World Cup squad
-
US expects 'below normal' Atlantic hurricane season
-
Trump eases 'ridiculous' curbs on greenhouse gases used in refrigerants
-
Ineos-owned Nice in disarray before French Cup final against Lens
-
US Democrats release - and disown - 2024 election autopsy
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Istanbul from Israel: AFP
-
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash
-
From conflict to cleaning, expo showcases China's drone dominance
-
Belgium's Segaert snatches Giro 12th stage, Eulalio stays in pink
-
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
-
Italy and Spain urge EU sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
Senegal have 'big dreams' for 2026 World Cup
-
'People thought it was witchcraft': DR Congo's Ebola outbreak
-
Arteta on BBQ duty as Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
Top UN court says right to strike protected in key labour treaty
-
Musk's SpaceX bonus comes with unique condition: colonize Mars
-
Guardiola's Premier League legacy carried forward by Spanish coaches
-
Walmart reports solid results but sees some consumers struggling
-
Oil gains, stocks slip on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
Stellantis unveils 60 bn euro push to revive profitability
-
French films tackle war and fascism as crunch election looms
-
Italian divers in Maldives may have got lost in cave: recovery firm
-
Do tennis players really only take 15 percent of Grand Slam revenues?
-
Sinner, Djokovic kept apart in French Open draw
-
In Ankara, DW journalist goes on trial for 'insulting president'
-
Arteta alone in garden when Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
EU countries urge sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
EU slashes eurozone 2026 growth forecast on Mideast war
-
Chinese authorities demolish villager's madcap 10-storey home
-
Air France, Airbus guilty of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash: French court
-
Lustrinelli succeeds Eta as Union Berlin coach
-
Alex Marquez out of Italy, Hungary MotoGP races after crash
-
'French Banksy' and Daft Punk star turn Paris bridge into Alpine cave
-
Late queen pushed for son Andrew to be UK trade envoy: official papers
-
Denmark to autopsy 'Timmy' the whale
-
Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
War risks choking Iran's world-beating cinema, warn directors
-
Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
-
Samsung chip employees to get average $338,000 bonus under strike deal
-
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
-
Deadly DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreads to M23-held South Kivu
-
Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses: PM
-
Cuba outraged after US indicts Raul Castro
-
Pakistan army chief due in Iran as Trump says talks on 'borderline'
-
EasyJet posts deeper first-half loss on Mideast war
-
In Ankara, Iran World Cup squad players start US visa process
-
Sri Lanka cricket finances 'greater than feared': interim chief
-
Ubisoft shares plunge after grim annual results
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
Ghana said Thursday it has delayed the evacuation of more than 800 of its citizens from South Africa after a viral video showing the alleged assault of a Ghanaian man triggered outrage.
The footage showing the attack on Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian living in South Africa, circulated widely on social media during the latest wave of xenophobic violence targeting foreign nationals in the country.
The Ghanaian foreign ministry said earlier this month that it was evacuating citizens from South Africa as a result.
Some 800 Ghanaians were to be evacuated starting Thursday, but the process was delayed because of the large numbers of evacuees and legal clearance procedures required by South Africa, the ministry said.
"Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days," the ministry said.
It said that Ghanaian and South African authorities had agreed to accelerate the process.
Only one Ghanaian showed up at South Africa's O.R. Tambo international airport on Thursday, AFP journalists at the airport reported.
Ghana's government has promised to give those it is evacuating from South Africa a re-integration financial package and psycho-social support.
The latest tensions have revived uncomfortable debates across Africa about xenophobia, migration, and the gap between pan-African rhetoric and realities facing African migrants on the continent.
Ghana has increasingly pushed for the issue to receive broader continental attention and has tabled concerns around xenophobic violence within African Union discussions, arguing that recurring attacks threaten African integration and free movement ambitions under frameworks such as the African Continental Free Trade Area.
Earlier this month, Ghana's foreign minister said he had formally petitioned that "requesting that the South African xenophobic attacks targeted at Africans be placed on the agenda" at the AU's mid-year meeting due next month.
South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa last week moved to reassure other African countries saying "opportunists" had orchestrated anti-immigrant attacks on foreigners and that "there is no place in South Africa for xenophobia, ethnic mobilisation, intolerance or violence".
Asamoah, the man in the viral video, has since returned safely to Ghana.
N.Mitchell--AT