-
European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility
-
'Alpha male' AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall
-
New Zealand freestyle skier Ives in hard Olympic crash
-
New Zealand must adapt quickly to Sri Lanka wickets: Chapman
-
Thai activist's jail term for royal insult extended to 30 years
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing with hope
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
-
UK monarchy reels from Andrew's stunning arrest
-
Somaliland, where Muslims love Israel
-
Florida airport to be renamed after US President Donald Trump
-
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch
-
Stocks mixed, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
Outspoken Laos lawmaker's election exit sparks rare dissent
-
Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress
-
Shepherd hat-trick to Samra ton: Five top T20 World Cup performances so far
-
Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI as leaders weigh message
-
Victorious Takaichi promises 'strong and prosperous' Japan
-
Ex-South Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Ex-S. Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Messi kicks off MLS season in key World Cup year
-
Teen burnout to Olympic gold: Alysa Liu 'looking to inspire others'
-
Cunningham stars as NBA-leading Pistons ease past Knicks
-
Andre Gomes joins MLS side Columbus Crew
-
Scottish inconsistency 'bugs everyone' says former international Beattie
-
England turn to Pollock for Six Nations boost against Ireland
-
Arsenal aim to banish title jitters in Spurs showdown
-
Scrutiny on Flick rises as Barca seek recovery
-
Leipzig host red-hot Dortmund with Champions League hopes slipping away
-
Nvidia nears deal for scaled-down investment in OpenAI: report
-
Japan inflation eases in welcome news for PM Takaichi
-
McIlroy shares Riviera clubhouse lead as Rai charges, Scheffler fades
-
Philippines' Duterte earned global infamy, praise at home
-
Stocks drop, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
As European heads roll from Epstein links, US fallout muted
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing hopefully
-
Russian decision is a betrayal: Ukrainian Paralympics chief
-
Venezuela parliament unanimously approves amnesty law
-
Martinez missing as Inter limp to Lecce after Bodo/Glimt humbling
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI models
-
World leaders to declare shared stance on AI at India summit
-
'Everything was removed': Gambians share pain with FGM ban in balance
-
Kim Jong Un opens rare party congress in North Korea
-
Ex-Philippine leader Duterte faces pre-trial ICC hearing
-
Japanese star Sakamoto 'frustrated' at missing Olympic skating gold
-
Japan inflation eases in welcome news for Takaichi
-
Amphastar Pharmaceuticals to Release Fourth Quarter Earnings and Hold Conference Call on February 26, 2026
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - February 20
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
Ukraine's Paralympic athletes will skip the Opening Ceremony of the Milan-Cortina Winter Games next month in protest at the International Paralympic Committee's decision to allow Russian athletes to compete under their national flag, Ukraine's National Paralympic Committee has said.
"The Ukrainian Paralympic team and the National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine are boycotting the opening ceremony of the 14th Winter Paralympic Games and demand that the Ukrainian flag not be used at the opening ceremony of the Paralympics-2026!," the committee said in a statement published late Thursday night.
Their decision follows that of Ukrainian government officials, who announced on Wednesday they would boycott the March 6 ceremony in Verona.
Their fury was sparked by the IPC decision to allow six Russians and four Belarusians to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes.
Russia and Belarus had been banned from the 2022 Paralympics following the invasion of Ukraine, although they were permitted to compete as neutral athletes in the Paris Summer Paralympics two years later.
Ukraine's Sports Minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and its ally Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt".
Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee, told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not go for a full boycott of the Paralympics.
Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.
"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.
"That will not happen!"
Nevertheless Sushkevych's anger at what he saw as a betrayal of Ukraine was clear in an interview with AFP on Tuesday and culminated with Thursday's decision.
Sushkevych said the Ukrainian team's motto at the 2022 Games "Peace for all", which had been displayed throughout the event, had not been reflected this time round by the IPC.
"I would like to stress that at that time the IPC leaders supported our fight against the war," he said.
"Today, the IPC has changed its position and failed to adhere to the values of humanity, democracy, and the philosophy of the international Paralympic movement, precisely in accordance with the slogan "Peace for all".
"But we will continue to fight in order to unite nations in the struggle against war."
The Ukrainians are not alone in voicing their discontent with the decision.
The Italian government expressed its disapproval whilst Glenn Micallef, the EU Commissioner for Sport, said he would boycott the ceremony.
Y.Baker--AT