-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
-
'Michael' moonwalks back to top of N. America box office
-
Putter powers sizzling Kitayama to record 63 at PGA
-
Travolta channelled film greats in low-thrust plane movie
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61 - SRU
-
Fujimori and Sanchez advance to Peru runoff: official results
-
Italian PM meets victims of Modena car incident
-
'Fight relentlessly': Ukraine commander vows strikes into Russia
-
Kitayama fires sizzling 63 at PGA as No.1 Scheffler starts
-
Fernandes equals Premier League assist record in Man Utd win, West Ham brace for Newcastle
-
Ireland thrash Scotland 54-5 in Women's Six Nations to finish third
-
Vingegaard climbs to victory as Eulalio holds firm in pink
-
Carrick expects clarity on Man Utd future in 'coming days'
-
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
-
Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe: prosecutor
-
Shock threat by billionaire Bollore's Canal+ group rocks French cinema
-
Kohli, Venkatesh dazzle as Bengaluru qualify for IPL play-offs
Syria govt forces take control of Aleppo's Kurdish neighbourhoods
Syria's government was in full control of Aleppo on Sunday after taking over the city's Kurdish neighbourhoods and evacuating fighters there to Kurdish autonomous areas following days of deadly clashes.
Residents of the Ashrafiyeh neighbourhood, the first of two areas to fall to the Syrian army, began returning to their homes to inspect the damage, finding shrapnel and broken glass littering the streets.
The violence started earlier this week after negotiations stalled on integrating the Kurds' de facto autonomous administration and forces into the country's new government.
A Syrian security official told AFP on condition of anonymity that 419 Kurdish fighters, including 59 wounded and an unspecified number of dead, were transferred from the Sheikh Maqsud neighbourhood -- the second area to come under army control -- to the Kurdish-controlled zone in the northeast.
The arriving fighters were met with tears and vows of vengeance from hundreds of people who gathered to greet them in the northeastern Kurdish city of Qamishli, according to AFP correspondents at the scene.
"We will avenge Sheikh Maqsud... we will avenge our fighters, we will avenge our martyrs," Umm Dalil, 55, said.
A correspondent saw crossed-out images of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and US envoy Tom Barrack, as people chanted against Sharaa.
Kurdish leader Mazlum Abdi said on X that the combatants were evacuated "through the mediation of international parties to stop the attacks and violations against our people in Aleppo".
The Syrian official said that 300 other Kurds, including fighters and members of the domestic security forces, had been arrested.
Britain-based monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told AFP that 300 "young Kurds" had been arrested, stating that they were "civilians, not fighters".
- Damaged walls, looted homes -
On Sunday in Ashrafiyeh, an AFP correspondent saw people carrying bags and blankets return to their homes after being searched by security forces.
Yahya al-Sufi, a 49-year-old clothing seller, told AFP he had fled during the violence.
"When we returned, we found holes in the walls and our homes had been looted... Now that things have calmed down, we're back to repair the walls and restore the water and electricity," he said.
Sheikh Maqsud, however, remained off limits, with no one allowed to enter, an interior ministry source told AFP.
Syrian authorities said on Sunday that the toll from the fighting had reached "24 dead and 129 wounded since last Tuesday", while the Observatory counted 45 civilians and 60 soldiers and fighters from both sides killed.
The Observatory also mentioned "field executions" and the burning of fighters' bodies in Sheikh Maqsud by government forces, along with other "violations", but AFP was unable to independently verify the claims.
- 'Return to dialogue' -
US envoy Tom Barrack met Saturday with Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, and afterwards issued a call for a "return to dialogue" with the Kurds in accordance with an integration agreement sealed last year.
Abdi in his statement called on "the mediators to abide by their promises to stop the violations".
The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which Abdi heads, control swathes of the country's oil-rich north and northeast, much of which they captured during Syria's civil war and the fight against the Islamic State group.
Neighbouring Turkey, a close ally of Syria's new leaders, views the SDF's main component as an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which agreed last year to end its four-decade armed struggle against Ankara.
Turkey has launched successive offensives to push Kurdish forces from the frontier.
The March integration agreement between Damascus and the Kurds was meant to be implemented last year, but differences, including Kurdish demands for decentralised rule, stymied progress.
The Aleppo fighting recalled a chapter in Syria's civil war when fierce fighting pitted the city's rebel-held east against the west, then controlled by the forces of ousted leader Bashar al-Assad.
Assad's forces seized control of the entire city in December 2016, forcing the opposition and their families to evacuate to what was then the rebel stronghold of Idlib in the northwest.
P.A.Mendoza--AT