-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Agronomics Limited Announces Net Asset Value Calculation as at 31 March 2026
-
Santa Barbara Schools Sexual Assault Complaint by Veen Firm
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - May 18
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
What we know about the US attacks on Venezuela
After months of threats and pressure tactics, the United States on Saturday bombed Venezuela and toppled authoritarian left-wing leader Nicolas Maduro, who was seized to face trial in New York.
- How did it start? -
The first explosions were heard in the capital Caracas and surrounding areas shortly before 2:00 am (0600 GMT), continuing until around 3:15 am.
Images on social media showed helicopters silhouetted against the night sky and missiles slamming into targets, creating fireballs and huge plumes of smoke.
Trump said at 0921 GMT on his Truth Social platform that the United States had "successfully carried out a large scale strike against Venezuela" and that Maduro and his wife had been "captured and flown out of the Country."
Top US General Dan Caine said the goal of "Operation Absolute Resolve" was purely to seize Maduro, with airstrikes clearing the way for helicopters used in the capture raid.
Caine said the operation, involving more than 150 aircraft, followed months of preparation.
- What was hit? -
Fort Tiuna, Venezuela's largest military complex, was among the targets.
The vast base in southern Caracas is home to the defense ministry, a military academy and housing units for thousands of troops and their families.
AFP reporters saw flames and huge plumes of smoke rising from the complex.
At one of the entrances, which was still guarded, an armored vehicle and a truck were pocked with bullet marks.
La Carlota airbase east of Caracas was also targeted. AFP reporters saw an armored vehicle at the base in flames and a burned bus.
Explosions were also reported in La Guaira, north of Caracas, home to a port and an international airport; the north-central city of Maracay; and Higuerote on the Caribbean coast -- all within 100 kilometers (60 miles) of Caracas.
- Are there casualties? -
Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez accused US forces of firing missiles and rockets at residential areas.
As of Saturday night, Venezuelan authorities had yet to release casualty figures.
Trump, speaking on Fox News program "Fox and Friends," boasted that no US soldiers had been killed. He later told the New York Post that "many Cubans" who were protecting Maduro had died, the first indication of casualties from the US strikes.
- What has become of Maduro? -
The operation brought the curtain down on 12 years of increasingly authoritarian rule by Maduro, who had a $50 million US bounty on his head.
Trump posted a picture on Truth Social of the Venezuelan leader handcuffed and blindfolded aboard a US naval ship in the Caribbean.
From there he and his wife Cilia Flores were flown to New York to face drugs and weapons charges.
Trump said he followed the operation to capture Maduro live at his Mar-a-Lago estate "like I was watching a television show."
"He was in a very highly guarded... like a fortress actually," he said.
He said Maduro tried in vain to escape to a safe space.
Caine said intelligence agents had spent months studying how Maduro "moved, where he lived, where he traveled, what he ate, what he wore, what were his pets."
He said the 63-year-old Socialist and his wife surrendered without resistance.
- What next for Venezuela? -
Trump stunned US allies and foes alike by saying the United States would "run" Venezuela during an undetermined transitional period.
He indicated that could involve deploying US troops on the ground.
Venezuela's opposition leader, Nobel peace laureate Maria Corina Machado, took to social media to proclaim her country's "hour of freedom has arrived."
Machado, seen as a hero by many Venezuelans for her dogged resistance to Maduro, called for the opposition's candidate in the 2024 election to "immediately" assume the presidency.
Trump brushed aside any expectations Machado herself would emerge as leader, claiming she did not have "support or respect" in Venezuela.
L.Adams--AT