-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Ryde Appoints Chief Product Officer to Accelerate Platform Innovation and Marketplace Growth
-
XCF Global Highlights Long-Term Growth Drivers for Renewable Fuels as U.S. Biofuel Policy Evolves and SAF Demand Continues to Build
-
Who Is the Best Oculoplastic Surgeon in Raleigh?
-
June 29 Marijuana Rescheduling Hearing Faces Constitutional Issues Before It Even Begins
-
Aliko Dangote: African Energy Person of the Year 2026
A war within a war: Yemen's latest conflict
Yemen has been fighting a crippling war with itself since Iran-backed Houthi rebels ousted the government in 2014, triggering a Saudi-led military intervention.
Now, a new conflict is brewing within the conflict, involving rival armed factions loosely grouped under the government but separately backed by the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
The confrontation could tear apart the already-fractured government and threaten slow-moving peace negotiations with the Houthis, including a UN-brokered ceasefire that has largely held since 2022.
It began earlier this month when the Southern Transitional Council (STC) -- a UAE-backed secessionist group and key government partner -- seized military bases, checkpoints and oil fields and captured in most of resource-rich Hadramawt province and swaths of neighbouring Mahrah.
Saudi Arabia, Yemen's wealthy neighbour and chief supporter of the government, has hit back, striking what it called a weapons shipment from the UAE to the separatists on Tuesday.
The UAE denied sending weapons to the STC, saying it was shipping vehicles to its own forces in Yemen.
Here's a guide to the latest events and what could happen next.
What's happening now?
Tensions escalated on Tuesday when the Saudi-led military coalition attacked a shipment of weapons and combat vehicles that it said was sent from the UAE for the separatists.
STC positions were also hit by airstrikes on Friday, following calls from Riyadh for a withdrawal from Hadramawt and Mahrah.
A Yemeni military official said around 15,000 Saudi-backed fighters were amassed near the Saudi border, but had not been given orders to advance.
"The standoff risks upending Yemen's fragile three-and-a-half-year truce, renewing a war that has repeatedly played to the advantage of the Iran-backed Houthis," wrote April Longley Alley, a senior fellow at the Washington Institute, in an analysis.
"It could also further strain relations between key US allies Saudi Arabia and the UAE."
Abu Dhabi is key supporter of the STC, with UAE flags reguarly seen at the separatists' rallies.
What does the STC want?
The STC appears to be launching a bid for greater self-determination over territories it controls or even outright independence, according to observers.
Headed by Aidaros Alzubidi, the STC is a coalition of groups that want to bring back South Yemen, which existed from 1967 to 1990, when it reunified with North Yemen.
They now control almost all of South Yemen's former territory.
"The Southern Transitional Council is betting that if the South can be united under a single leadership –- its own, of course –- it can cordon the South off from the Houthis in the North, utilise oil and gas revenue, and create a stable and functioning state," wrote Gregory D. Johnsen, a non-resident fellow at the Arab Gulf States Institute, in a recent analysis.
Such a move "is a tall order, and it will likely be contested both internally and externally", Johnsen added.
Why is Saudi 'sleepless' over Hadramawt?
Hadramawt is Yemen's largest province -- compromising roughly a third of the country's territory -- and its wealthiest.
It home to most of the country's petroleum deposits that are vital to government revenues, and borders Saudi Arabia to the north.
And its ports are away from the Red Sea hotspot that regularly comes under Houthi fire.
But, for the Saudis, the province that abuts its southern border is about more than just land and wealth.
For generations, Hadramawt families have been a force in the Saudi economy and make up a sizeable portion of the business community.
Seen as having entrepreneurial skills and grit, migrants from Hadramawt have long flourished in Saudi Arabia -- from running family restaurants to starting multi-billion dollar construction consortiums.
Losing control and influence over Hadramawt to a militia backed by the UAE would be both a psychological and strategic blow to Riyadh.
"If I'm Saudi Arabia, I'd be sleepless if I lose Hadramawt," said Farea al-Muslimi, a research fellow at Chatham House's Middle East and North Africa Programme.
Can the Saudis stop the separatists?
The latest conflict pits the Saudi alliance against a militia keen to exert control over territory that it sees as historically distinct from the rest of Yemen.
The decade-long, largely fruitless fight against the Houthis may not give Riyadh much cause for optimism.
Despite spending billions in a decade-long campaign including withering air strikes, the Saudi-led campaign has failed to bring the Houthis to heel.
Military experts cite the south's more open terrain as playing to Saudi Arabia's possible advantage. An air campaign alone, however, is unlikely to dislodge their forces.
Airstrikes "can never make a significant difference in battles if there is no ground war", said Muslimi.
D.Johnson--AT