-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
IMF director says Iran war fallout creating 'difficult moment' for Africa
The International Monetary Fund's Africa director on Monday warned that the economic fallout of the Iran war was creating a "difficult moment" for the region, and that it would take months for Gulf energy production to ramp back up.
"We are now in a difficult moment for the region, in particular after the war in the Middle East," Zeine Zeidane told reporters at the IMF's headquarters in Washington.
"Even though there is a ceasefire today, we know that the disruption will take time to be resolved," he said.
The Fund has in recent weeks ramped up its programs for African countries hit by high energy and fertilizer prices caused by the war.
Zeidane, who previously served as the IMF's deputy director for the Middle East and Central Asia department, warned that it would take Gulf countries time to ramp their energy production back to normal levels, after months of conflict.
"Most of them will tell you that you'll take six, seven months before going to full resumption of production and export," he said.
Speaking of sub-Saharan Africa, Zeidane lauded government reform programs undertaken in recent years as giving regional economies more resilience to the current energy supply shock.
Nevertheless, several African countries have approached the IMF for technical advice or financial assistance in the wake of the conflict.
Earlier this month, IMF spokesperson Julie Kozack said the multilateral lender would provide increased or accelerated access to funds to Ethiopia, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
The Fund was also in "accelerated" talks with Malawi on a new IMF financial assistance program.
On Monday, the IMF said it had reached a staff-level agreement with Sao Tome and Principe on the third review of the island nation's ongoing $25 million program.
The latest agreement, once approved by the IMF's board, will clear the way for disbursement of around $6.1 million.
Zeidane said the IMF could not rule out that there would be further requests for augmentation or new programs in Africa by the end of the year.
N.Walker--AT