-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
Driver killed, 28 in hospital as UK train collision probed
UK accident investigators were on Saturday probing the cause of a train collision north of London which killed a driver and injured scores of passengers, nine critically.
The crash Friday afternoon near Bedford, a town around 90 kilometres (55 miles) north of the British capital, involved two London-bound trains on the same track, according to East Midlands Railway (EMR), which operates both services.
Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander said it was "too early to speculate" on the cause of the crash while vowing "a thorough investigation ... to ensure that lessons are learnt".
British Transport Police Chief Constable Lucy D'Orsi said in an update Saturday near the scene that more than 80 people had been treated for injuries in hospital and 28 remained there.
"Nine are in a critical condition," she added.
Police had earlier confirmed that the driver of one of the trains had died at the scene.
D'Orsi said that "specialist investigators from British Transport Police are working with colleagues at the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) to gather the facts and determine what has happened".
- 'Suddenly' hit -
Buckingham Palace issued a statement saying King Charles was "greatly saddened" by the crash and sent "his thoughts and sympathies" to the dead man's family and to those injured.
A passenger on one of the trains, Paul Cavin, told the BBC: "We had stopped and suddenly we were hit from behind pretty bad."
"There were people injured on my carriage," he said, adding he could see many wounded people walking away from the trains, some with "smashed up noses".
The East of England Ambulance Service said Saturday 11 people sustained "very serious" injuries, while a further 32 suffered serious wounds and 56 others had minor impacts.
It dispatched more than 20 ambulances, specialist hazardous area rescue teams, along with six air ambulances.
The area's fire and rescue service said it mobilised over 20 fire and specialist vehicles, and at the height of the response, more than 70 firefighters and officers were involved at the scene.
Another passenger, Brett Byatt, told BBC radio it felt "surreal" the morning after and that he had "moved into the stage of anger now".
"I don't know at whom," he added. "But it's more about (the fact) we've got one of the oldest railway networks and signal failures happen a lot... Why wasn't that signalled to my train?"
Officials have not said whether signalling issues played a role in the collision.
- 'Profoundly sad' -
EMR's managing director Will Rogers called it "a profoundly sad day for the railway community".
"We are deeply saddened that our driver has tragically died, and a number of other people have suffered injuries," he said, speaking at the scene alongside other officials.
He noted the train operator was "fully supporting" the RAIB probe.
Train collisions are relatively rare in the United Kingdom.
In September 2023, several people were injured after two trains collided at Aviemore station in the Scottish Highlands.
The crash happened on the Strathspey Railway, a heritage railway run separately from mass-transit public services, and involved a stationary carriage and another train in the station.
In August 2020, an early morning service from Aberdeen to Glasgow came off the tracks, killing three people and injuring six near the town of Stonehaven, northeast Scotland, after a landslip caused by heavy rain.
Network Rail -- an arm of the UK Department for Transport -- pleaded guilty in 2023 to safety failings at a court hearing and the public body was fined £6.7 million ($8.4 million).
W.Stewart--AT