-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
EU wrestles over tackling China export flood
EU leaders debated on Thursday whether the bloc needs new beefed-up trade defences to curb a surge of Chinese exports deemed an existential threat to European industry and jobs by Brussels.
There is a growing consensus in the European Union that it is too dependent on China, and Brussels fears this makes it vulnerable to potential coercion and supply shocks.
The bloc's trade deficit in goods hit around 360 billion euros ($413 billion) last year, meaning Chinese exports sharply exceeded the EU's.
"Our trading relationship with China has reached a point that requires a reset. Not confrontation, but rebalancing," EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic said.
On the menu of a summit dinner in Brussels: chewing over what current tools the EU can use to address the imbalance and whether there should be new instruments and actions, which the European Commission has pushed for.
The talks were set to test just how far the EU will go to protect its industries, before leaders guide the commission on its next steps.
While EU capitals agree on a common diagnosis, the positions differ on the cure and several leaders on Thursday said Brussels should seek to tackle the issue by talking to China first.
Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin urged "substantive dialogue" with China especially over "excess manufacturing, and the sense that a lot of products have been dumped onto the European Union market with consequences for European industry."
His Spanish counterpart Pedro Sanchez struck a more conciliatory tone.
"We need friends, we need balanced relationships, we need to be pragmatic, and we need to build bridges both with major economies and potential allies, such as China," Sanchez told reporters.
- Following Trump's playbook? -
One way to beef up the EU's arsenal could be creating a new tool to impose sector-specific tariffs such as chemicals or green tech -- taking a page out of President Donald Trump's playbook.
French President Emmanuel Macron last month called for a "European equivalent of Section 301" -- the trade tool Trump has employed to set sweeping tariffs -- arguing Europe's "sovereignty is at stake".
Germany has until now adopted a cautious posture because its economy is more exposed to potential retaliation, while Spain has sought to avoid tensions as it chases Chinese investment.
But Berlin appeared to be coming around to France's way of thinking.
A German official said Berlin was "open" to new tools if they are necessary so long as they were "not targeted at specific recipients".
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, however, would not be drawn on China by reporters in Brussels.
Ireland's Martin said he wanted to see "the shape and nature of any mechanisms" introduced but warned Europe had to make sure it understood the consequences. "Are we resilient enough to deal with all of that?"
Concern about Chinese dominance is not limited to the EU.
Fears are rising in the West over Beijing's control in the market for rare earth minerals used in everyday electronic appliances, and China was on the agenda of G7 talks in France this week.
Brussels often evokes the need for fair competition, pointing to the unfair advantage Chinese companies have because of massive state subsidies.
Between 2005 and 2024, Chinese firms received around three to eight times more government support than firms in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, according to the OECD, which called it "a conservative estimate".
"There may be a member state or two who are more cautious," an EU diplomat said, but he said the majority see "the situation the same way".
"We have to be ready to do more," he said.
- EU appetite for a fight? -
Even as its resolve appears to be hardening, the EU has showed no appetite to trigger a broader trade war with China.
Fears over Chinese retaliation are not unfounded.
After the EU hit Chinese electric cars with higher tariffs in 2024, China imposed anti-dumping duties on European cognac.
And Beijing has vowed to hit back if the EU pushes through rules that would exclude certain products manufactured outside the bloc from public contracts.
Sefcovic has invited Chinese Commerce Minister Wang Wentao to Brussels later this month as the bloc still hopes it can prevent escalation through dialogue with China -- but an EU official would not confirm the visit.
M.Robinson--AT