-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
Oil tankers pass Hormuz Strait after war deal: tracker
Three big Saudi oil tankers left the Gulf through the Hormuz Strait on Thursday, maritime trackers said, after leaders vowed to reopen the route under an agreement to end the US-Iran war.
Virtually halted during three and a half months of conflict, traffic through the crucial trade route appeared to pick up slightly, though shipping groups warned that plans for the resumption of traffic were still not clear.
At 1430 GMT maritime data firm Kpler indicated that eight commodities ships had transited the strait so far Thursday -- approximately equal to the average daily volume of traffic over the past week.
Among them were three very large crude carriers (VLCC), each transporting two million barrels of oil from Saudi Arabia, the tracker said.
The rate of crossings remained well below the 120 transits per day recorded before the war, according to leading shipping journal Lloyd's List.
Also among the vessels transiting was the loaded liquefied natural gas vessel (LNG) Mraikh -- the first such French vessel to make the transit since the start of the Iran conflict on February 28.
That carrier began moving on Wednesday roughly at the time it was announced US President Donald Trump had signed a memorandum of understanding in which Iran committed to immediately reopening the strait.
Only 15 LNG carriers, including the Mraikh, have left the Gulf with a cargo since the start of the conflict, according to Kpler. They were all carrying LNG from Qatari or the United Arab Emirates.
Despite the US-Iranian accord, "significant safety and security risks still persist," said Jakob Larsen, chief security officer at leading shipping lobby BIMCO, in a statement on Thursday.
"The central part of the Strait is mined and un-navigable," he added.
The agreement lacks details on measures to clear ships from the Gulf, Larsen added, but "BIMCO expects an international coordination body to be established shortly to facilitate transits."
More than 500 commercial vessels are still stuck in the Gulf, with about 11,000 seafarers on board, according to the International Maritime Organization. It says 20,000 seafarers in the region have been affected by the war overall.
R.Lee--AT