-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
Samsung union says South Korea strike on hold 'until further notice'
Samsung Electronics workers' union said late Wednesday that a planned strike had been put on hold until further notice after negotiations with management resumed with the participation of Seoul's labour minister.
The company's management and workers' union had resumed talks earlier in the day in a last-ditch attempt to avert a strike.
The labour union at the world's top memory chipmaker had said it would begin a strike on Thursday after talks over bonuses broke down, raising concerns about potential disruption to semiconductor production.
But late Wednesday, it said the planned strike "will be put off until further notice", adding that it would put a tentative wage deal to a vote.
All members will participate in a vote on this year's tentative wage agreement, which will take place between May 23 and May 28, the union said.
Labour Minister Kim Young-hoon said the company's management and union reached a tentative agreement through voluntary negotiations, and thanked both parties for "holding fast to the thread of dialogue until the very end".
Samsung's management apologised for the "concern caused" by the dispute, vowing to "build a more mature and constructive labour-management relationship so that such a situation does not arise again".
The walkout was expected to dwarf a 2024 strike that drew about 6,000 workers, as anger flares among staff over how the company distributes its massive profits from an artificial intelligence-fuelled boom.
Samsung reported a roughly 750-percent jump in first-quarter operating profit year‑on‑year, while its market capitalisation topped $1 trillion for the first time in May.
The union had called for the scrapping of a bonus cap set at 50 percent of annual salaries and for 15 percent of operating profit to be allocated to bonuses.
According to the union's lawyer, around 50,500 workers were set to walk off production lines for 18 days from Thursday following the breakdown of negotiations with management.
In response, Samsung's management said the talks failed because "acceding to the labour union's excessive demands would risk undermining the fundamental principles of the company's management".
The standoff has raised concerns in South Korea, where semiconductors account for about 35 percent of exports and are a key pillar of the economy.
The presidential office had expressed "deep regret" over the collapse of talks earlier, urging both sides to continue negotiations given the strike's potential economic impact.
President Lee Jae Myung also told a cabinet meeting that collective labour action should remain within "certain limits".
Experts say even a partial halt in Samsung's operations could prove damaging -- though the union argues that production stoppages have already occurred in the past for reasons related to maintenance and equipment inspections.
The government could invoke emergency mediation powers to halt industrial action and trigger mediation if it is deemed a threat to the national economy.
- Limited impact? -
But Tom Hsu, an analyst at Taipei-based research firm TrendForce, said the potential impact of the strike, if it goes ahead, may be limited.
"Due to the high level of automation in front-end facilities, TrendForce expects Samsung's DRAM and NAND Flash production to remain at full capacity," he told AFP.
"Any potential impact from the strike is likely to be confined to non-memory business segments."
A Suwon court this week largely granted Samsung Electronics an injunction requiring staffing and operations to be maintained at normal levels during any walkout, to prevent potential damage to the company's safety-related and other facilities.
Kim Sung-hee, director of Workers' Institute for the Industrial and Labour Policy, said that while the strike could cause losses, "they are unlikely to be irreversible".
The strike, if it happens, does not mean it would "automatically trigger an economic crisis", he told AFP.
Samsung Electronics shares inched up 0.18 percent by the close in Seoul on Wednesday.
- AI boom -
Samsung is a major producer of chips used in everything from artificial intelligence to consumer electronics.
The company said this year it had begun mass production of next-generation high-bandwidth memory chips, HBM4, seen as a key component for scaling up the vast data centres needed for AI development.
The dispute has unfolded against the backdrop of an AI boom that is benefiting South Korean tech groups, boosting national growth and the stock market.
Both Samsung and its domestic rival SK hynix posted record profits in the first quarter, driven by global demand for AI chips.
Long staunchly anti-union, late founder Lee Byung-chul once vowed never to allow unions "until I have dirt over my eyes".
Samsung Electronics' first labour union was formed in the late 2010s.
A.Moore--AT