-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Eagle Plains' Partner Xcite Uranium Inc. Commences Drill Program at the Don Lake Uranium Project, Saskatchewan
-
HM Exploration Announces DTC Eligibility of Its Common Shares in the United States
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - August 20
-
Great Western Mining Corporation plc Announces Holding(s) in Company
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
Iran searches for downed US jet crew, as US media says one member rescued
Iran launched a hunt for the US crew whose jet Iranian media said had been shot down by the Islamic republic's air defence systems Friday, deploying troops and offering a bounty.
US media reported US special forces had rescued one of the two crew members, and a local official television station in southwestern Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province aired footage of what it said was wreckage of the downed plane.
The war started more than a month ago with US-Israeli strikes on Iran that killed supreme leader Ali Khamenei, triggering a retaliation that spread the conflict throughout the Middle East, convulsing the global economy and impacting millions of people worldwide.
US Central Command (CENTCOM), responsible for military operations in the Middle East, did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment on what would be the first known loss of a jet inside Iran since Trump ordered the war.
"Dear and honourable people of Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province, if you capture the enemy pilot or pilots alive and hand them over to the police and military forces, you will receive a valuable reward and bonus," said an Iranian television reporter on the official local channel.
The report of the downed jet came as fresh strikes hit Israel, Iran, Lebanon and Gulf countries.
Meanhwile, large blasts rocked northern Tehran, an AFP journalist said. Israel said it had launched a wave of strikes in the Iranian capital, alongside parallel attacks in Beirut.
- Blown-out windows -
Earlier, Israel's military reported a new missile salvo from Iran, activating its air defences.
Strikes by all sides have increasingly targeted economic and industrial sites, raising fears of wider disruption to global energy supplies.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the US military "hasn't even started destroying what's left in Iran. Bridges next, then Electric Power Plants!", after US strikes damaged Iran's tallest bridge.
In the area around the bridge, in Karaj, west of Tehran, an AFP reporter saw a villa and residential buildings with blown-out windows -- but no military installations.
According to the deputy governor of Alborz province, the attack killed eight civilians and wounded 95 others.
About 70 percent of Iran's steel production capacity has been taken out, Israel said Friday.
In Abu Dhabi, Iran's neighbour across the Gulf, metal giant Emirates Global Aluminium meanwhile said it could take up to a year before it can resume full production, after its site was damaged by Iranian strikes.
- Ex-FM urges peace deal -
Writing in the US journal Foreign Affairs, Iran's former foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, said Tehran should make a deal with the United States to end the war by offering to curb its nuclear programme and reopen the Strait of Hormuz in exchange for sanctions relief.
Iran has virtually blocked the key waterway since the war began, where in peace time one-fifth of the world's oil and natural gas passes through.
Of the few ships that have managed to cross, most have had links to Iran, with sixty percent of commodity-bearing ships crossing the strait either coming from Iran or heading there, an AFP analysis of maritime data showed.
In the first known transit by a major European shipping group since March 1, the Maltese-flagged Kribi, belonging to the French maritime transport group CMA CGM, crossed the strait to exit the Gulf on Thursday, according Marine Traffic data analysed by AFP.
Three other ships, including one co-owned by a Japanese company, crossed Thursday, as commodities carriers see a 94 percent drop in traffic compared to peace time, according to data from business analyists Kpler.
Iranian military spokesperson Ebrahim Zolfaghari warned that, in response to Trump's threats to attack infrastructure, Iran would increase its own attacks on energy sites in the region.
A drone attack on a refinery owned by Kuwait's national oil company on Friday sparked fires at several of its units, state media said.
Later, an Iranian attack damaged a power and desalination complex, Kuwait's water and electricity ministry said.
In Abu Dhabi, a gas complex shut after a fire broke out, following an attack that resulted in "falling debris" upon interception, the government media office said.
- Trump wants bigger defence budget -
Meanwhile, the Israeli military said Friday it had struck more than 3,500 targets across Lebanon in the month since fighting with Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group.
It added it would attack two bridges in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa region "in order to prevent the transfer of reinforcements and military equipment".
Lebanon's health ministry said on Thursday that 1,345 people had been killed -- and 4,040 wounded -- since the start of the war, including 1,129 men, 91 women and 125 children. Among those are 53 healthcare workers.
Hezbollah has so far not announced its losses.
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon said a blast wounded three peacekeepers, the third such incident in a week.
A UNIFIL spokesperson said the origin of the explosion was unknown.
The war's economic impact is rippling far beyond the Middle East, as energy and oil costs surge.
At a protest in Lahore, Pakistan, over fuel price hikes, Naveed Ahmed, 39, told AFP: "The government, overnight, has dropped a 'petrol bomb' on its people."
Meanwhile, the White House on Friday sent a spending proposal to lawmakers calling for a massive hike to the US defence budget.
It remains to be seen what Congress will ultimately approve, but US media reported the $1.5 billion budget request -- a 42 percent hike -- would be the largest year-on-year increase in Pentagon spending since World War II.
W.Moreno--AT