-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
Aston Martin slashes staff as US tariffs hit carmakers
British luxury carmaker Aston Martin Lagonda on Wednesday announced plans to cut up to 20 percent of its workforce after widening annual losses on US tariffs and weak Chinese demand.
The job losses total around 600, with Aston Martin employing some 3,000 people, mostly in the UK.
The carmaker, which has struggled for several years, added in a statement that its net loss jumped 52 percent last year to £493.2 million ($667 million), compared with 2024.
Group annual revenue dropped 21 percent to £1.258 billion as car sales for the brand beloved by fictional British spy James Bond fell 10 percent to 5,448.
- 'Turbulent year' -
Aston Martin said its latest cost-cutting "programme will ultimately see the departure of up to 20 percent of our valued workforce".
Group chief executive Adrian Hallmark added that the global luxury automotive market last year "faced one of its most turbulent years in recent times".
"Consumer demand was impacted by escalating geopolitical uncertainties and macroeconomic challenges, the most notable being the introduction of increased tariffs in both the United States and China."
Automakers had been among the companies hit hardest by the US tariffs onslaught in 2025 as President Donald Trump sought to bring auto production back to the United States.
Aston Martin limited imports to the US in April and May while awaiting a trade agreement between London and Washington.
It resumed shipments in June after the deal slashed tariffs on UK car exports to 10 percent from 27.5 percent, on a limit of 100,000 vehicles annually.
Aston Martin on Wednesday said that the outlook for the automotive industry "remains challenging" amid "uncertainties over the economic impact from the unpredictable threat or introduction of additional US tariffs, changes to China's ultra-luxury car taxes and the continued reliance on a stable network of global suppliers".
The group added that "while China remains a market with long-term growth potential, demand there remained extremely subdued in line with other luxury automotive peers".
- Share price up -
Aston Martin expects "material improvement in financial performance" this year, "driven by an enhanced product mix, benefits from the ongoing transformation programme and disciplined approach to operations".
The group's share price rose slightly in London following the updates.
"The poor performance is being blamed on external factors, such as US tariffs and macroeconomic uncertainty," noted Aarin Chiekrie, an equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown.
"But looking under the hood reveals some internal issues, making Aston Martin's road to redemption more difficult.
"Production delays hampered the group's performance, leading to multiple profit downgrades over the last year," he added.
Faced with financial difficulty, Aston Martin last week said it would sell the naming rights to the Aston Martin Formula One team for £50 million.
Aston Martin Lagonda's biggest shareholder is the Yew Tree Consortium, led by Canadian Lawrence Stroll, whose son Lance Stroll drives for the Formula One team.
B.Torres--AT