-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
Panama hits back after China warns of 'heavy price' in ports row
Panama's President Jose Raul Mulino on Wednesday rejected China's threat to make the Central American country pay a "heavy price" after a Hong Kong company was evicted from two ports on the Panama Canal.
Writing on X, Mulino "strongly" rejected the threat from the Beijing office overseeing affairs in semi-autonomous Hong Kong, which came after Panama's Supreme Court invalidated CK Hutchison's port concession.
US President Donald Trump has piled pressure on Panama to cancel Hutchison's contract by threatening to reclaim the US-built waterway over what he claimed was China's outsize influence on the canal.
Last week, Panama's Supreme Court ruled that the concession was "unconstitutional" and found it had "a disproportionate bias in favor of the company" without "any justification" and to the "detriment of the State's treasury."
The United States hailed the ruling but China reacted angrily.
On its WeChat account, China's Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office accused Panama of buckling to outside pressure, Bloomberg reported.
"Panamanian authorities must recognize the situation and correct their course," the office was quoted as saying.
"Persisting in this misguided path will result in a heavy price, both politically and economically," it added.
Mulino condemned the threat, insisting that Panama was a country that upholds the rule of law "and respects the decisions of the judiciary, which is independent of the central government."
He added that the foreign ministry would issue a statement on the matter "and adopt the corresponding decisions."
The Panama Canal, which connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans through Central America, handles about 40 percent of US container traffic.
- 'Cold War mentality' -
Since 1997, Hutchison has managed the ports of Cristobal on the interoceanic canal's Atlantic side and Balboa on the Pacific side.
The concession, which reflected the growing inroads of Chinese companies into Panama's economy, was extended for 25 years in 2021.
After Trump threatened last year to seize the canal, Panama's independent comptroller general reviewed Hutchison's contract and subsequently recommended it be annulled.
The Supreme Court backed the comptroller's view that the terms of the concession ran counter to Panama's interests.
Following the ruling, the Panamanian government tapped Danish company Maersk to temporarily take over management of the port terminals until a new concession is awarded.
Hutchison's port concession has come to symbolize the battle for influence and trade between the United States and China in Latin America.
Beijing's foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian on Wednesday reiterated that China would "firmly defend the legitimate and lawful rights and interests" of Chinese companies.
Accusing the United States of a "Cold War mentality and ideological bias," he said: "It is quite clear to the world who exactly is seeking to forcibly own the Panama Canal and eroding international law in the name of the rule of law."
The Supreme Court ruling came amid Hutchison's stalled effort to sell the ports.
In March, it announced plans to transfer its stake in the Panamanian terminals to a group of companies led by the US firm BlackRock, as part of a package valued at $22.8 billion.
That deal was initially seen as favorable in Washington, but interests cooled after China warned the agreement could harm its global interests and urged parties to proceed with "caution" or face legal consequences.
S.Jackson--AT