-
Police defenders of US Capitol sue to stop Trump 'slush fund'
-
The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less
-
'Their story is our story': Pigeons and humans, 3,500 years together
-
Musk's SpaceX is about to go public. Here's how it works
-
SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO
-
Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO
-
Fighting over a chicken in protest-hit La Paz
-
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
-
US charges former Cuban president with murder as pressure builds
-
'Bohemian Rhapsody' star Malek says has Freddie Mercury 'in soul'
-
McGinn invites Prince William to join Villa's Europa celebrations
-
Zuckerberg says he feels 'weight' of Meta layoffs
-
Musk's SpaceX discloses filing for blockbuster IPO
-
Southampton lose appeal over Championship play-off removal
-
Cavs' Atkinson defends Harden, rues 'collective' defensive woes
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protesters
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': Trump envoy
-
Tielemans reveals secret behind goal that inspired Villa's Europa glory
-
UN members reinforce nations' climate change obligations
-
Stylish Aston Villa win Europa League to end 30-year trophy drought
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': US envoy to AFP
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protests
-
'Majority' of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed
-
Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says 2026 his last NFL season
-
Kolkata see off Mumbai to keep IPL playoff hopes alive
-
Raul Castro: the other leader of Cuba's revolution
-
Spacey walks Cannes red carpet as comeback continues
-
US indicts former Cuban president as pressure builds
-
Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss
-
1996 Cuban downing of two US planes behind Raul Castro indictment
-
Silva says it's time for new Man City generation to shine
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
-
Bolivia says protesters trying to 'disrupt democratic order'
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
In-form Narvaez makes it three Giro stage wins
-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
US charges Belarus officials with air piracy over Ryanair flight diversion
The US Justice department charged four Belarus officials with air piracy Thursday for last year's forced diversion of a Ryanair flight in order to arrest a dissident on board.
Two top officials of the state air navigation authority and two security officials were accused of conspiracy to commit aircraft piracy for allegedly taking part in a fake bomb scare scheme to force the aircraft to land in Minsk on May 23, 2021, so that the Belarusian government could seize opposition campaigner Roman Protasevich.
The charges, filed in federal court in new York, said Ryanair Flight 4978 from Athens to Vilnius had been carrying more than 100 passengers, including four US citizens, when Belarus authorities concocted the scheme to force it to land.
Two of the four charged, Leonid Mikalaevich Churo and Oleg Kazyuchits, are director general and deputy director general, respectively, of the state aviation authority Belaeronavigatsia.
Two others from the state security services, their names not fully known to the FBI, were also charged.
“The FBI identified a detailed operation that subjected passengers from many countries, including the US, to the realities of terroristic threats," said FBI Assistant Director Michael Driscoll.
"Not only is what took place a reckless violation of US law, it’s extremely dangerous to the safety of everyone who flies in an airplane," he said.
"The next pilot who gets a distress call from a tower may doubt the authenticity of the emergency -- which puts lives at risk."
The diversion operation was led by state security services and succeeded in having Protasevich, 26, a journalist with the Nexta opposition media, and his girlfriend Sofia Sapega, a law student at the European Humanities University in Lithuania, arrested at a Minsk airport.
Both were placed under house arrest to face various charges.
According to the US indictment, Churo and the security officials communicated the ostensible bomb threat to traffic officials at Minsk Air Control Center even before the Ryanair flight took off from Athens, demanding it divert to Minsk.
They waited until the plane entered Belarus air space to alert the aircraft to the purported bomb threat, in order to force it to land in Minsk.
Churo's deputy Kazyuchits then sought to have the incident record falsified to hide the fabricated bomb threat and the involvement of security officials, according to the indictment.
The four, who remain at large in Belarus, all face possible life in prison if they are brought to justice in the United States.
The incident sparked international outrage and has brought punitive sanctions from Europe, Canada, Britain and the United States.
The International Civil Aviation Organization on Monday said it had completed its investigation but would only reveal the conclusions at the end of this month.
M.White--AT