-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
Mistrial declared in deadly Los Angeles fire case
The trial of a man accused of setting one of the blazes that tore through Los Angeles last year in one of the costliest disasters in US history collapsed Friday when the jury failed to reach a verdict.
Jonathan Rinderknecht had been charged with starting a blaze that eventually rekindled to become the Palisades Fire and laid waste in January 2025 to some of the most exclusive addresses on the US West Coast, including in the city of Malibu.
Firefighters believed they had extinguished the initial blaze, but now say it flared again a week later in strong winds, at the same time as another fire was racing through a different part of greater Los Angeles.
A total of 31 people died in the two fires, which destroyed thousands of homes and upended life across America's second biggest city.
After a three-week trial, the jury in Los Angeles deliberated for two days before declaring itself deadlocked.
"There is nothing the court can do to assist the jury in their deliberations," a jury note said Thursday.
"Additional instructions or rereading the testimony would not help in deliberations. Unfortunately we cannot reach a unanimous verdict.''
On Friday morning, US District Judge Anne Hwang declared a mistrial after learning that all but two of the 12 jurors had wanted to declare Rinderknecht not guilty.
Prosecutors had portrayed him as a ride-share driver angry at capitalism and driven by a desire to burn down a wealthy enclave where he had once lived.
His own lawyers argued he was a Good Samaritan who had called emergency services to report the initial fire, maintaining that the blaze had actually been sparked by fireworks.
They also depicted him as a scapegoat whose prosecution was being used to cover up the Los Angeles Fire Department's failure to extinguish the initial fire.
As soon as the mistrial was declared, Assistant US Attorney Bill Essayli said his office would try again.
"The evidence is strong that Jonathan Rinderknecht is responsible for igniting the fire on January 1, 2025, which eventually became the Palisades Fire," Essayli wrote on X.
"`We fully intend to retry this case before a new jury and obtain guilty verdicts on all charged counts."
Rinderknecht, who faces multiple charges, including arson, could be jailed for up to 45 years if ultimately convicted.
H.Romero--AT