-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
Cyprus court quashes UK woman's 'false gang rape' conviction
The Cyprus Supreme Court on Monday overturned the conviction of a young British woman who had been found guilty of lying about being gang-raped by up to 12 Israeli tourists.
Defence lawyers successfully argued there had been a miscarriage of justice when a district court in January 2020 found her guilty of public mischief and handed her a suspended four-month jail term.
The woman, now aged 21, had in July 2019 told police she had been raped by the Israeli tourists, aged 15 to 22, in a hotel room in the Mediterranean island's resort town of Ayia Napa.
She was charged after she retracted her initial complaint, but later said she had been pressured to do so by local police.
The woman's family in a statement Monday asked that the rape case be re-investigated for "true justice" to be served.
Around 40 activists protested outside the court with banners saying "I believe her" and "end rape culture" and clapped when they heard the court's ruling.
The UK-based group Justice Abroad had assisted the woman, who did not attend Monday's hearing, and her family in their legal battle.
"This is a watershed moment," the group's Michael Polak, who co-ordinated the appeal, said in a statement.
He added that the woman "has always maintained her innocence, even when doing so caused her the hardship of not being able to return home during the lengthy trial proceedings.
"We have always maintained that our client was not given a fair trial, and today the Supreme Court of Cyprus has agreed with us."
He added that "important fair trial provisions, which are in place to prevent miscarriages of justice, were totally disregarded in this case.
"A young and vulnerable woman was not only mistreated when she reported the rape to the police but she was just put through a trial process that was manifestly unfair as the Supreme Court has recognised."
- 'Great relief' -
Lawyers said the woman was "shouted at and treated with contempt during the original trial".
"It became clear to those watching that the defence was fighting these proceedings with one hand tied behind our back and that a decision had been made as to guilt from the start of the trial process," said Polak.
During the hearing, before a three-judge bench, the defence team expanded on their detailed 154-page argument to explain to the court why the conviction was unsafe.
The woman, who was 19 at the time of her arrest, has accused Cypriot police of having forced her to sign a retraction statement, after which the Israeli suspects were released.
Justice Abroad said she was suffering from post-traumatic stress and that her retraction, taken after she had spent almost seven hours in a police station without a lawyer present, "should never have been admitted" into evidence.
Polak said Cyprus police had failed to download data from suspects' phones. It is alleged the Israelis filmed the alleged sexual assault on their mobile phones.
"We are pleased that our team has managed to secure this result against the odds and believe that the next step for justice to be done in this case is a full review and investigation by a different police force of the rape complaint put forward by our client," said Polak.
The woman's family welcomed the decision with "great relief" in a statement.
"Whilst this decision doesn't excuse the way she was treated, it does bring with it the hope that my daughters' suffering will at least bring positive changes in the way that victims of crime are treated," it said.
"Of course, if justice is to be done, an authority would need to pick up on the evidence that was gathered in Cyprus."
Defence Lewis Power QC said: "We hope that this decision will have far-reaching implications in the pursuit of justice for other victims of sexual assault.
"We commend the Cypriot Supreme Court for having the courage and wisdom to deliver this judgement."
A.O.Scott--AT